Spyder Steering Rack Conversion

PostPost by: nigelfletcher » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:30 pm

Hi All,

I've fitted the Spyder steering rack to my plus two (which BTW is a LHD BMC Mini rack fitted upside down). I've used the track rod end adapter/extenders that were fitted to the original rack and they work, but one side in particular is quite a lot more extened than the other.

Does anyone else have any experience of fitting this Spyder rack, and the usage of these extenders? Are they up to the job...?

Many thanks

Nigel
nigelfletcher
New-tral

PostPost by: flyinggellyfish » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:46 am

Nigel
What is the advantage of the Mini rack compared to standard Triumph one ?

Rick
1968 Elan +2 . Now going back together after 18 years , you just can not rush these things .<br>Rick
flyinggellyfish
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nigelfletcher » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:30 pm

Hi Rick,

the Spyder/BMC rack offers a more positive steering control with less turns of the wheel, lock to lock. My experience of the old triumph unit I had in my plus 2 was that when driving at motorway speeds the car tended to wander a bit. This required lots of little steering adjustments to keep the car in a straight line - which I found a bit frustrating and not conducive to relaxed cruising. It was clear my old rack was well worn so I took the opportunity to upgrade to the spyder conversion. Higher speed cruising is now a breeze, but to be fair I can't comment whether it's better than a car with a re-con triumph based rack.

I just wondered if anyone else had fitted this rack to a standard chassis and what their experiences were.

Nigel
nigelfletcher
New-tral

PostPost by: flyinggellyfish » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:55 pm

Thanks for the info .

Rick
1968 Elan +2 . Now going back together after 18 years , you just can not rush these things .<br>Rick
flyinggellyfish
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: