Suspension

PostPost by: RobCapper » Sun May 21, 2006 3:51 pm

Hi - my car is a +2 s130/5, with a replacement spyder chasis...

I've decided that my suspension is tired beyond belief and could do with replacement... The front squeeks like crazy over bumps and the back left is completely shot - and has even (somehow) raised the corner of the car a bit... (???)

I've no idea what I'm talking about or what this might entail, but does anyone have any advice or recommendations? Am I best off just ringing up Paul Matty and ordering whatever is standard (my normal approach to repairs!) or is there a 21st Century alternative? (I'm not particualrly precious about originality if a good upgrade exists...)

Oh - and any idea how much money my new fangled ruse will likely set me back?

Thanks as always!
RobCapper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Sun May 21, 2006 4:56 pm

Rob,

What are you planning to replace? Springs, shockers or geometry? (or all!)

I have rear spyder struts & Spax inserts which replaced very doubtful chapman struts. Have a pic posted. The advantage of these is that you can fit the larger (inner) bearing to both the outer and inner positions. They are a lot more substantial than the originals.

I have spyder front wishbones which replaced tired front suspenders. Can post a pic if you want to see them.

I plan to replace the back wishbones this winter coming. They were bent by PO jacking up the car.
Also the rear offside of the car seems a bit lower than the nearside. Looks like I have work on the springs to do. Might be a chance to fit narrow springs. The Spyder rear struts have adjustable spring platforms so the spring seats are removable :).

The only thing I am doubtful about are the Spax inserts. They take ? a dozen bounces to activate. Otherwise al is OK.

My car has a spyder chassis.

Regards,

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RobCapper » Sat May 27, 2006 10:22 pm

well, after some interesting conversations at Castle Combe today (thank you Steveww and others!) it seems that some new shocks/springs are on my shopping list.

They're for a +2 s130 that is used every day (not just track etc) and money IS a deciding factor! However, before I just phone Matty's and order whatever, does anyone have any recommendations for something I should consider? Even if a few pounds more etc? I noticed that the ride height of my of the +2's today was lower than mine... so if I can lower mine a little too that'd be good... can I bring my suspension into the 21st century somehow?

rear shocks are first priority - don't know if that makes any difference?

Thanks, Rob
RobCapper
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: