Saftey reasons?!

PostPost by: RobCapper » Mon May 15, 2006 10:17 pm

Hi - quick question...

I've seen several ads for elans now where they have been advertised with various alternatives to donuts which, because of the "saftey implications alone" are, apparently, "a must have"...

I've had my elan for a couple of years (with donuts) and have no idea what these 'saftey implications' might be... I'm probably just showing my total ignorance, but I'm just curious...?

Ta as always...
RobCapper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue May 16, 2006 2:11 am

I'm guessing they're refering to the possibility of a rotoflex tearing apart during acceleration and having a halfshaft flop around enough to tear up the rear suspension causing the car to swerve into a streetlamp or telephone pole? Otherwise, I'm not sure of any safety issues involving rotoflexes, old or new. I believe most of us know what we're driving and can "feel" a failing rotoflex miles before failure. I've NEVER had one fail. Keep on motoring...
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: brassringfarm » Tue May 16, 2006 5:45 am

A friend had an early Elan where his rotoflexes failed. As it whirled around, it also ate a large chunk out of the fiberglas body area. Later cars had an extension on the halfshafts that reduced the chance of flailing. I opted for Tony Thompson halfshafts as much for their ease of re-installation as for the safety issue. Got tired of wrestling the donuts back into position.
Paul Zimmerman
26/4600 S2
brassringfarm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed May 17, 2006 2:02 am

Many years ago, when I was young and foolish, I was doing a "redline" start from pole position at traffic lights. There was a trendous bang and I was left sitting on the spot. One of the outer rotoflex bolts had sheared, the rotoflex disintegrated, and cleaned the brake caliper clean of the hub. Very embarrassing. :oops:

I have since fitted Spyder CVs (9 years, 50k miles ago) They have safety pegs fitted, as seen on the wallpaper on this page. I am now replacing the CVs (gaitors have cracked) but the rotoflexes are still perfect. :)

Sean Murray
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Wed May 17, 2006 8:16 am

Sean Murray wrote:... but the rotoflexes are still perfect.

Sean, are you sure ?? After 9 years I would expect them to be falling apart, even if they have not been used !! Have you tried jacking the car up so the suspension is at full droop and rotating the wheels/drive shafts ? This is what they do on the MoT test and it frequently shows me that my 'good condition' doughnuts are nothing of the sort - the rubber & metal plates begin to come apart with use & rust.
Best wishes,
:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed May 17, 2006 12:02 pm

Yep, the rotoflexes are good.

I have the drive shafts out on the bench at the moment, I'm changing the diff from a 3.9 to a 3.55.

I used to get only about 20k miles out of a set. Don't know if it's my driving technique (no more redlining the revs and dropping the clutch in it)or the super quality of the present rotoflexes !

Sean Murray
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri May 19, 2006 1:54 am

My youngest rotoflex, I have eight of them, is nine years old. Still looks great, eldest are well into their teens and not doing bad either. I'm not sure about the droop test tho... that abuse is not required in the states.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: