... New brakes disks & pads ...

PostPost by: Old English White » Sun May 14, 2006 2:57 pm

... Hi ,
After my last trackday week-end , just arrived from Le Mans , "Old English White" need news front brakes ... I am thinking about that Greenstuff ?
So , where you do you find yours at best best quality/price ...
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Sun May 14, 2006 5:28 pm

I use the EBC green stuff for fast road use, so far so good. Rohan has some race experience. If you are allowed in your race series fitting +2 front brakes is a great upgrade.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Tue May 16, 2006 9:54 pm

Before removing my engine I had a brief time with my new pads - Greenstuff front, blackstuff rear ( +2s130).
I have to say I was disapointed. After a short period of spirited driving the front brakes were fading and smelling. I am glad I was not doing a trackday with them. I will be talking to Powerstop about it when the engine is rebuilt.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: paros » Wed May 17, 2006 6:59 am

When I was in Cyprus 4 years ago, and initially in Greece I used EBC and also was very dissapointed with pedal feel and fade - on one regularity rally racing an MGA downhill with no brakes!
I hastily went back to my UK supplier, viz Mintex [ Questmead in Rochdale being the distributor ] and they are superb. If you use 1144 the do squeal a bit, but I tent to use F4R pads that I have worn thin when racing as my main road pads and they need less pedal pressure and outbrake anything on the roads.
Overall for road and fast work the 1144 is agood choice and friends over here are also going this route having tried many European makes of pads in older cars - Alfa's, Fiats, MGB etc. There may be a better version of 11144 available now which is less usceptible to sqeal I believe.
Best of luck
Richard
paros
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Wed May 17, 2006 7:25 pm

... That's a good start , seems not only a solution for pads , mine were Ferodo , and were good just few corners before ...
At EBC , what about the drilled & sloted discs ( nearly twice the price ...)?
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat May 20, 2006 5:57 am

HI Christian

i just got back from France on work and was driving past Le Mans last weekend, if I had known you were there I would have dropped in.

I have used a variety of pads and disks over the last few years with the following results

Ferodo DS11- the original and best and no longer available, low wear rates, good feel once hot, kind on the disks.

EBC Greensstuff - low cost, reasonably high wear rate, at high temperature they appear to generate corrossive gases that rust the pad pins and other brake components, this does not happen with normal road use.

Ferodo DS 2000 - twice cost of Greenstuff, lower wear rate, tendency to glaze disks when overheated.

Porterfield Carbon Kevlar - three times the cost, high wear rate

All these pads worked OK on hard braking circuits with little high temperature fade though all the pads were being heated beyond their intended operating temperatures and hence the high wear rates.

An Elan with orginal brakes is working the fronts to the limit on hard braking circuits.

I have used the EBC slotted and spotted disks an plain standard replacement disks. The life of both of these was only a couple of years and substantially less than the original Lotus disks which lasted for the first 20 years of my racing. The slotted EBC disks certainly give better feel under high temperature conditions when the pads are generating gas and also in the wet.

I am currently waiting on a new set of slotted disks from a South African company (powerbrake.co.za) and are planning to run these with Hawk Blue 9012 which is what they recommend. Powerbrake do not recommend EBC black for the rear as they believe the pads may overheat due to the poor pad conductivity and recommend a semi metallic pad such as Bendix MK+. I have not seen this problem using the
EBC blackstuff but they say to look out for the pad material smearing on the disk. I am running an old set of DS 11 rear pads currently and when these are gone I will have to look for an alternative for the rears

The other potential pad alternative you may want to try is Mintex F6R which is what Tony Thompson recommends, but I have not yet tried.

regards
Rohan
In God I trust.... All others please bring data
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sat May 20, 2006 9:32 am

... Thanks for your complete report , Rohan ,
It will be EBC "stuff" ...
Their "online" shop seems clear to me . Prices too .
Next time , in France , have a look to the "Club Lotus France" website , it always as an event , winter apart .
At "Lotus au Mans 06" , Elise & Seven derivatives appart , only two baby's , one +2 , but four Europe-Europa's and an wonderful Eleven.
Classics tend to be rare ...
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: