Track rod ends

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:22 pm

Am all set for a weekend in the garage (well, most of it I suspect) stripping and rebuilding and/or upgrading the front suspension.

Have just discovered the track rod ends (one at least) are shot. I will replace both. My mistake, should have discovered it earlier.

Any ideas on the Triumph model they came from, or the Unipart part number, etc? Have I any chance of getting a pair tomorrow (Saturday morning) before the Bank Holiday shutdown?

Do I remember correctly that they have to be cut down/shortened and the threads re-cut?

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:05 pm

Stuart,

Lust popped out to the garage and my squirrel instinct serves you well.

I replaced one on my +2 (I think the Elan is the same). Part no is:
Lockheed TA442. Also says equates with QH1572 RH. I call the part a track rod end, the box says 'steering joint'.

I got mine in a factors in Falkirk (a small town west of Edinburgh). So I would think that you shouldn't have too much trouble getting the part.

Hope this helps,

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john-c-elan+2 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:11 pm

They are common to spitfires, heralds, vitesse, gt6 etc - any triumph that the same rack (without the chapman mods!) fits. Good luck with the search. If not then Matty/Neil/Rimmer bros etc....
john-c-elan+2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:50 am

Hamish,

Many thanks, a big help.

John,

Thanks. Hope I can find them locally (as Hamish suggests) rather than via the usual suspects. If so, then it will be another reason to put off work in the garden !!!

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: