Trackday noise

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:13 am

I have just signed up for the Castle Coombe Trackday and the receipt and instructions arrived yesterday. There are warnings about noise tests before being allowed on the track. A maximum of 100 dB is allowed. I am a worried about the noise level from my +2. I assume the silencer is standard and is working properly - but dont know. To my uncalibrated ear it sounds quite loud - but no louder than many saxos.

The questions are: will it be OK? How do I find for sure? or what should I do? How could I get it tested before I go? should I just fit a new silencer?

All suggestions welcome.

best regards, iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:44 am

I've been told that Maplins are selling a meter for around ?30 if you want to be sure, but a standard +2 should be fine. Last year Castle Combe had little additional silencers that clamped onto the tail pipes of cars that exceeded the noise limit, but I only saw them on Europas...
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:49 am

Thanks, Simon. I'll check the maplin device.

Do you know if the extra clamp-on silencers are available on the day? Or where you can get them? It sounds a useful thing to have.

best regards, iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:13 am

I have also just signed up for the trackday and I am also worried about how loud my car is :shock:

I have just checked the maplin web site and they are out of stock. I guess I will just cross my fingers and hope I get to run.

See you there for big grins all round 8)
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:28 am

Steve,

I was speaking to Roy at Paul Matty's. (he will also be there with his +2). He reckons a new silencer on a +2 will be all right at ~98 or 99dB, so I have ordered one. It should make motorways easier too. Also, I have heard that Merlin Motorsport based at Castle Coombe sell a small supplementary silencer to clamp-on to the tail pipe. Worst case, could get one those on the day....

best regards, iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jonty5speed » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:02 am

Iain,

Quasar Electronics also have a meter available for just over ?30;

http://www.quasarelectronics.com/ms422.htm

I might get one just to see which is louder, the Plus 2 or the wife :lol:

Jon
1972 Red Plus 2 S130/5
Jonty5speed
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:52 pm

Thnaks for the tip. I have just ordered one. So if anyone wants a noise test you know where to come. Cars only, no wives :lol:

I think to noise test your wife you need to let her see an invoice for Lotus parts then measure the reaction :lol:
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jonty5speed » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:18 pm

I think to noise test your wife you need to let her see an invoice for Lotus parts then measure the reaction

.............sorry, I'm not that brave :oops:
1972 Red Plus 2 S130/5
Jonty5speed
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Sun May 07, 2006 5:39 pm

[quote="steveww"]Thnaks for the tip. I have just ordered one. So if anyone wants a noise test you know where to come.

Steve, did the noise meter arrive? Do you think it is accurate?

I have fitted the new silencer - so am ready for Castle Coombe... It's quieter, but still sounds interesting at 5000 rpm.

best regards, iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Sun May 07, 2006 6:17 pm

Yes the noise meter has arrived. I have not had time yet to do a noise test as it requires 2 people. I will post up the results when I have done the test. The noise meter is not certified but should be close enough.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: