rear suspension problem plus2

PostPost by: rogerh » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:21 pm

Recently whilst cleaning my convertible plus2s 130, I noticed that the offside was about 0.75ins lower than nearside when measured from centre of wheel to underside of the rear wheel arch. I have loosened off the pivot bushes on both sides (rear) and set up the suspension as per the w/shop manual with no appreciable difference. Any ideas?
I also noticed that on one of the inside pivot bushes ("A" frame bush) the thro' bolt appears to be seized inside the bush--------how do we get it out?
Yet another rush of blood to the head
rogerh
New-tral

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:22 am

Was it on level ground? A +2s 130 convertible, what a rare car.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:50 am

The seized bush should not be a major problem in the short term however it will lead to wear on the chassis bracket or washer as the bolt head and nut rub against them.

The only way of checking this is to take off the springs and replace them. If you do a search on Berni I think you will find a similar issue ? From memory I believe that he replaced the springs and the car sat correctly.

Regards

David
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:09 am

First, I suggest you check the chassis clearance at the top of the rear strut towers under each wheelarch to make sure the body is on level. Do this before taking it all apart to change the springs!

Mine had some accident damage and a replacement chassis in the early 80s (when Lotus & Spyder chassis were apparently not available, or too expensive?!), and the body was refitted slightly too high on one side.

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rogerh » Mon May 01, 2006 8:19 pm

Thanks for the advice, sorry i'm a bit late acknowledging--the chassis was replaced in 1988 so it may have been set incorrectly i will check this before going any further.
Is a hacksaw the only way to remove the siezed bolt or is there another method?
Yet another rush of blood to the head
rogerh
New-tral

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Tue May 02, 2006 5:12 am

Siezed bolt.
I changed an A-frame recently and the bushes were seized very securely onto the bolts. In the end I only got it apart with the angle grinder. I had to cut through the A-frame, into the bush and finally through the bolt and inner steel bush. messy. The A-frame was bent to begin with and scrap at the end. iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Tue May 16, 2006 2:56 am

Hi There

With my car it was indeed the spring. The free length of the springs were identical, but one was a fair bit weaker. They were new springs so aprt from the height difference the back of the car sat too high. I put some springs from a 68 +2 and now all is well.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: