Rear Suspension set-up

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:55 pm

Have finally begun to put my uprated 2.25 inch rear suspension upgrade back together. While I was at it, I changed the upper diff mounts, diff brace mounts and inner and outer wishbone bushes. For better or worse, all are now polyurethane.

All nuts are now fairly tight (particularly those around the diff). The manual says to refer to Section C (front suspension) when finalising the rear assembly. However, my Section C makes no reference to the rear assembly..........perhaps some pages are missing?, and yet the pages number sequentially.

I'm guessing that I need to lower the car back down to the ground and bounce it, so as to settle it down. Then tighten wishbone and top damper nuts as per the stated torque settings. Is this correct, please?

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:29 pm

You only need to tighten up everything at normal ride hight with the original rubber bushes. With the Poly bushes this is not needed. However before setting the ride hight it is a good idea to drive the car around the block to get the sespension to settle after each adjustment.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:34 pm

Stuart,

The bit about the rear is in the very last pages of the manual. I am not in work this week otherwise I could have scanned it in. Basiaclly you are right. Except the manual gives a ride height distance that you weighted the car to when it had rubber bushes. The car had to be tightened up at this point so the bushes dont rip apart. I dont know about all the poly bushes but I have the Mick Miller ones from Supeflex. These move on the crush tubes by design. I just dropped mine on is wheels (on blocks) pushed it up and down several times to get the normal unweighted ride height back and then went under and dogged up the nuts etc. The beauty of these bushes is that they wont tear if you jacked up the car and let the wheels droop. The bushes should move on the static crush tubes. Same with front. Effectivle they are proper pivot points. The rubbers had to be set in a particular ride height place so they did not tear when subjected to extremes. A lot of debate has gone on about poly' being crap. I wont get involved with this as I have my own view. Only advise I have about Supleflex is that if you follow the manufactures instructions you will be fine. Quite a few have had problem with clearance and locked up front bones.

that my take on it anyway. Hope it helps

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:31 pm

Oops, just discovered I never said thanks.

So..........thanks!

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: