polyurethane drive couplings

PostPost by: storrar54 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:52 pm

Does anybody have any experience of these polyurethane drive couplings being advertised on Ebay (4624217383)? If they eliminate surge and maintain rear roll stiffness they sound a cheap alternative to cvjs/ujs. The sellers say they sell to USA, I havent seen them before.
Richard
storrar54
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:50 pm

Richard
They look like industrial drive couplings in which case they will not flex enough, as industrial couplings mainly only take out very small misalignments of shafts. Also the raised bosses are all on the same side.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:26 pm

They were also up for auction a few months back the general opinion was do not go anywhere near them as they are totally unsuitable for installation in an Elan
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:55 pm

I have been thinking about the coupling for sale and the design seems to me to be more anti vibration mount than drive coupling .
So I checked the companies website and suprise surprise they make accoustic damping and noise reduction systems for audio speakers etc.

Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: storrar54 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:15 pm

Yeah, thanks for all that input. Its sometimes hard to remember that when something appears too good to be true it really is. They should be coloured yellow instead of orange!
Richard
storrar54
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:57 am

Just as a final note on different material for couplings.
I have talked to a couple of drive train manufacturers about using better material for the "Metalastic Rotoflexs" used on our Elans and all of them have reservations about using anything other than rubber.
The main reasons being Rubber flexes easily and also has great ability to reduce vibrations.
As soon as you use harder materials you start to lose some of those advantages.
Thats not to say its not possible just that it would have to be a compromise.

Cliveyboy
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: