Rear spring free length

PostPost by: chrishewett » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:28 pm

Hi,
I am just in the middle of refurbishing a pair of rear struts to replace those on my +2. The manual says that the free length of the springs should be 37.4cm. The springs I am fitting have a free length of 40.5cm. Is that normal? The back of my car always seems a bit high to me with quite a gap between the wheel and arch. I dont want it even higher.
The springs were from a partly restored car and had been fitted but the car had never been driven.
All comments gratefully received.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:58 pm

Hi

When I got my current car it was sitting high at the back but low on one side. The springs were new (said the prev owner). I took them off expecting the lengths to be dfferent. They were not. I then compared them to a pair taken off of a 1968 +2 which had sat just right ( to me tad low mayyybbbeeee for others) expecting the lengths to be different, but no. Exactly the same. I compared them to the ones off my JPS next.....you guessed, the same. I fitted the ones from the 1968 car and now it is just right. It will bottom out with a full boot and two kids in the back though, esp through tight left hands, which is the side I left the bump stop off.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: