front dampers and springs

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:30 pm

Hi list, I don't want to get into a debate about the pro's and con's of Spax dampers, but I have a problem that I wondered if anyone else had experienced,
I have just had to remove my "new" (done 500 miles) Spax damper, because it is leaking, and send it back under guarantee. I have had to remove the spring before I send it back. I noticed that on the offside only, the spring is rubbing against the damper body. I don't think that this is the reason for the damper failure, but I am sure it's not right. The spring was supplied by Spyder here in the UK and when I spoke to them to make sure I had the correct spring for my Plus 2, ( which I have) Spyder told me "yeah, they all do that" The old Armstrong units had a rubber cover to stop the spring wearing on the damper, but of course I threw mine in the bin a long time ago.
Is there anything that can be fitted to stop the wear? Is this normal? Has this happened to anyone else in an elan as opposed to a plus 2?

Kind Regards Jeff 72+2
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:55 pm

If you apply a little grease it won't squeak. You'll just have to cope with it rubbing. The two other choices of stiffer springs will lessen the amount of buckling. Lotus and Triumph designed the clearance a tad bit too close there. :wink:
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:01 pm

Used this stuff on Elise dampers to quieten them down.

http://www.rswww.com

Stock Code 341-3263 Heatshrinkable fabric tubing, 60mm i/d ?17.32 +VAT for 5 metres
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:47 pm

Thanks for the replies. I didnt think to use heat shrink. I have boxes of the stuff at work, never thought to use it for this application! I have sent the damper back to Spax for replacement, I'll heat shrink the damper body when it comes back.
Regards
Jeff
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:10 pm

Jeff, normal heat shrink really isn't up to the job (unless you get the really thick walled stuff intended for HV cable jointing)

The stuff I use is more like heat shrink expandable braiding and copes with repeated rubbing from the springs much better.
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:29 pm

I have a similar problem with dampers/springs on the rear suspension on my +2, which has a Spyder twin wishbone arrangement. Makes a horrible noise creaking grating noise as the springs rub on the damper body. The only solution I have found is to use a can of spray grease & apply liberally! Some sort of nylon cover, like my motorbikes, would do but Andy at Spyder had a similar reaction to yours after my comment about the noise. This one thing is almost enough to get me to refit the old struts as it drives me to distraction! But then I think about the regular wheel bearing failures......
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:10 pm

M100 wrote:The stuff I use is more like heat shrink expandable braiding and copes with repeated rubbing from the springs much better.

Jeff,

I too have a Spyder +2 double wishbone conversion, it squeaks badly.

I would like to try the stuff you use, what is it called, and where can I get it ?

Thanks,

Sean Murray
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:43 am

An interesting thread. I hear the occasional squeek from the front suspension on my S4 and always thought it was the poly bushes. Looks like I will be taking the front dampers apart to fit some sleeving.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:51 pm

I used to get squeaking & grating on the front units as well until I took the shrouds off. No real noise from there now unless the dampers snap........

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: