Brake disk overhaul/refurbish

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:30 pm

I'm part way through a rear suspension upgrade, so much of the rear end of the car is dismantled.

Whilst waiting for parts, I've been looking at the rear disks. Both are clean, shiny and smooth on the outboard (wheel) side, but slightly ridged on the inboard (diff) side, with a hint of rust between the ridges.

How to deal with this?

Years ago, I would have simply taken a sander with a very light grit and sorted it.

Perhaps as I get older, I now question the wisdom of youth.

Both rear calipers are new (last 18 months), but PO's mileage was the absolute minimum (less than 1k average per year).

Is that type of disk pattern typical on an Elan doing low annual mileage, or indicative of some other problem (ie siezed inner piston) ..... although, as stated, calipers etc are new.

Regards.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:31 pm

Stuart,

Elans & +2's are 'light' on the rear brakes (unless you're a race track user!) - if you watch them test the brakes on the MoT test you'll see how little braking the rear end does (or needs to do in such a light car). If the car has been standing for any length of time and the discs have gone rusty, it seems to be very difficult to 'wear off' the rust in use.

It sounds like your brakes may have had a stuck inner caliper at some time which caused the ridges, and it hasn't been used enough to wear the rust off, now the calipers are working correctly. Or it could be (or have been) the handbrake pads.

Personally, for road use, if everything works OK and the braking is satisfactory, I would just use it and not worry! I'm sure others will have some better ideas...

Best wishes,
Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:30 am

...put it back together and drive it.... ridges on a brake rotor? Have you looked at the rotors on the cars you drive everyday? Ridges are normal. New cars have flat rotors, everybody drives a used car.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: