Vertical links

PostPost by: miked » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:25 pm

I have been meaning to ask about this for a while.

When building the front end up and fitting the brass trunnion to the vertical link, is there any rule for how far you screw it on.? Hear me out!
I was quite paranoid when doing this. I ran them on without the rubber to were they stopped then I put the rubbers on and ran them to a point were it nipped the rubber and there was still some turn left. However, not enough to go around another turn. When I go under to pump oil into the trunnions it always worries me about the right side as the rubber looks a bit more flattened. Car has 7k miles on it now and is fine.
Left /right business is correct.

Is this the way it is done or can someone shed some more light on this as I am about to do another car. :?

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:33 am

Mike

Your description is how I have always assembled mine.

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:53 am

Mr duff,
Hi there. When I did mine I counted the turns off, then when fitted new ones did the same and it was fine. I had 14.25 turns.

cheers
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:34 pm

Thanks Guys.

I suppose it is as exact as;
brass trunnion as far on as possible with full free movement without tightening on the rubber too much.

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:24 pm

Surely when you fit the trunions you only need enough "turns" left to give one adequate lock,i.e.the amount by which the wheel Steers?
John
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:56 pm

Mike,
Are the +2 and 2 seater elan vertical links and trunnions the same?

cheers
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:02 pm

Mark,

from memory of some reading in the Robinshaw and Ross book "part section", they are the same on later cars. I believe they are GT6 and Vitesse. On early cars (S1) with the 4 bolt hubs, I believe they are the Spitfire ones which are slightly different. Pretty sure the above book confirms this with numbers, but could have it wrong.

John,

yes, I agree and thats what I am trying to describe. Only worry is the fact that one side seems to crush the rubber a bit more than the other. Also I was a bit bothered about how much is left after the full lock positions. One side was a bit more (the left.) Neither could have gone around a gain.

Quick story:
As a young fellow in my 200quid spitfire in 1975 I had a vertical link snap when pulling out from parking. I knew less of them back then. I had been out the night before and hit 90mph. :shock: This is why I am nervous of vertical links. I would not use the original because they had pitting in the area of the curve near the bit were the rubber goes. My friend who is into his metal said that pitting is a sign on the surface or worst underneath. I went for some new ones and will do on the next car, although I have 2 sets in the shed. Perhaps I am being an old tart. :wink: I must have the most well oilded trunnions!

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: