Wheel reconditioning

PostPost by: RobCapper » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:41 pm

Hi,
I've decided that it's high time I got the wheels re-conditioned on my +2 130s. It's used every day, does around 13000 miles a year, and the wear and tear has taken it's toll on the laqer and finish of the wheels. Anyone got any idea where I can get this done? Will any decent wheel/stripping co be able to do it? (as I've found that a radiator re-core was a damn sight cheaper when done by a 'normal' radiator company etc)..

The other option of course is to get some brand new ones from Paul Matty - which I assume are replicas, but what the heck - they look very smart...

All opinions and ideas welcome,

Many thanks

Rob
RobCapper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:01 pm

I'd get them blasted first and then visually inspect them for cracks (or get an engineering company (engine rebuilders or similar) to crack test them.

If they are ok then true them up and get them powder coated at one of many places, if not get them welded before the cracks get worse.

I could recommend a place that could do it all for you but they are up in Yorkshire!
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:07 pm

Lap-tab on Tyburn Road, Birmingham are alloy wheel refurbishers and have refurbed elan wheels for wheels for me in the past, I think they were abought ?30 per wheel. Paul Matteys wheels are still cast from the original moulds
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:24 am

There's a company in Reddich (Midlands) not too far from you. They are usually present at the bigger shows e.g. NEC. They blasted my wheels & powder coated all within a couple of days. Superb job, can fully recomend.
If your wheels are bent or broken then you will have to look elsewhere.
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:09 pm

Hi everyone,

As the lacquer on the alloys always seems to break down and crack or peel, can anyone see a problem with gently rubbing down the metal bits with 600 grade to remove it all and then polishing the bare metal sections when necessary with Autosol and folded newspaper?

I believe the Paul Matty wheels are about ?100 each. If I can get mine reconditioned for ?30 a unit that's what I'll do.

Thanks,

Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: