Stromberg To Weber Conversion Machining?

PostPost by: marcfuller » Mon May 24, 2004 5:55 pm

Has anyone on the board had experience with having a Stromberg TC head machined to accept Weber carbs? If so - How much did it cost? Has it been durable? Are you satisfied? Any other things to comment? TIA!
-Marc '66 Elan DHC (36/6025)
http://www.lotuselan.us
marcfuller
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon May 24, 2004 8:25 pm

You can get Weber heads new or from breakers.

Why go to a Weber head? How much power are you looking for? If you go for big power you need to look at the gearbox, diff, diff mounting, brakes, suspension etc....

I know a pair of Webers look so much more sexy than those weedy Strombergs ;)
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jopalm » Tue May 25, 2004 3:42 am

Marc-

I'm of the opinion that the Weber conversion heads are a perfectly viable item. I'm seriously creeping up on this conversion myself. (I've acquired most all the ancillary parts and have a spare head begging for the machine work...probably next fall when I plan to have the engine out for other reasons...)

Expect cost of conversion to be about 1200 - 1400 USD. For this you should get the full Strom manifold milled off flush with the side of the head. (Also say goodbye to the messy breather/oil/return box on the side of the head) All ports cleaned up (possibly opened-up as well) and matched to a new bolt-on Weber manifold. All hardware and it's mounting points machined into the block. Provision for a new breather in the front of the head.

As to alternatives, this is significantly less than half the cost of a new replacement head. Those suggesting a used head probably aren't living on the "west-side-of-the-pond" where they're about as rare as hen's teeth. While they do turn up from various sources every once in a while, expect the conversion to still be about half this price, or maybe a little more. BTW, for this price you just acquired a used head of unknown history or quality.) If I was "simply opposed" to the concept of converting, I'd pony up the difference and buy new.

Regards,
-John
jopalm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue May 25, 2004 10:25 am

Marc

The research I have done suggests the Stromberg to Weber conversion done by John McCoy is a slightly better proposition than an original Weber head in terms of ultimate performance potential. This is becasue it is so much easier to properly port the head with a removable inlet manifold.

Provided you have cheap access to a good condition, uncorroded and not heavily machined Stromberg head it appears a much better route than a new Weber head in terms of cost and similar or better in terms of performance outcome.

I and another local Lotus racing enthusiast who have had Stromberg heads sitting under our benchs for the last 20 years are currently having them converted based on this as it is the cheapest way to get a spare race quality head.

Rohan
In God I trust.... All others please bring data
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue May 25, 2004 11:29 am

Here in the UK you can pick up Weber heads quite easily from the small ads, breakers etc. I guess in the USA you do not have this facility and hence the engineering route - Interesting.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mct340 » Sat May 29, 2004 2:58 am

How would one contact John McCoy? Thanks in advance.
mct340
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jopalm » Sat May 29, 2004 4:24 am

Q: "How would one contact John McCoy?"

Through Omnitech-Engineering (I believe he's the owner...)

Try www.omnitech-engineering.com Down the left side of the main page look under "Auto" - "Development" - "Stromberg-Weber"

-John
jopalm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: marcfuller » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:49 pm

My thanks to all who responded!

I don't think of the Strombergs as weedy, I find them "quaint". Wasn't looking for power above about 120hp. If I had an S4 and hood/bonnet bulge I would use them. My experience supports Miles Wilkins comments and on other engines I have found Strombergs and SUs very drivable.

The reason for the question was I have an unmolested 1968 TC engine with Strom head and low miles and was expecting to go the OMNI-TECH route. Never heard anything but good about John McCoy and his work. And his results look great. I think that with tired and very used Weber heads going on eBay for $350 plus shipping from the UK, that the conversion is a desirable path.

But I found a complete together 1966 S3, low miles (but not running), 2 owner, Weber, Elan that is now in my garage next to the complete but basket case 1966 FHC. Now it looks like there will be lots of parts left over.
-Marc '66 Elan DHC (36/6025)
http://www.lotuselan.us
marcfuller
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: