STARTING (CHOKE) LIMITING PEG

PostPost by: tonycharente » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:11 pm

Whilst adjusting the tickover on my S4 Strombergs Elan, I noticed that each carb has (per the Workshop Manual) a "Starter Limiting Pin", AKA "Starting Limiting Pin", which is a "spring-loaded, knurled headed pin". A diagram in the Workshop Manual shows two positions for this pin, "Winter" or "Summer".

Does anyone know what it does, please?

And when is it "Winter" (given current climate-changed temperatures)?

Many thanks
Tony
1969 Elan FHC S4 SE
tonycharente
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: reds4se » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:57 pm

In the winter position it allows the starter mechanism to open up further than in the summer position by allowing slightly more cable travel , in other words acting as the travel stop for maximum cable pull.The starter mech has a series of small holes which are gradually uncovered as the cable is operated.
reds4se
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: tonycharente » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:30 am

reds4se wrote:In the winter position it allows the starter mechanism to open up further than in the summer position by allowing slightly more cable travel , in other words acting as the travel stop for maximum cable pull.The starter mech has a series of small holes which are gradually uncovered as the cable is operated.

Thank you red4se, that's very clear.

I've just checked on my own Red 4 SE, and both pins were set on "winter" - I've only had the car since July 2005 (!!!) and it's the first time I've noticed them.

I've reset them to "summer", as the weather here is still very clement.

It rarely gets below freezing here (and when it does I'm probably not going out in the Elan) so I'll see what happens when it does get cold.

Thanks again,
Tony
1969 Elan FHC S4 SE
tonycharente
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tonycharente » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:01 pm

Update...

Well today the temperature was down to about 5°, and pulling the choke all the way out (restricted by having changed to the "summer" setting) the elan, which normally starts instantly, was reluctant to start. I've reverted to the "winter" position !!!

Many thanks again,
Tony
1969 Elan FHC S4 SE
tonycharente
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:14 pm

I leave mine on 'winter' all the time and just pull the cable out less in the summer.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tonycharente » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:26 pm

Thanks Stuart,