Air Filter Location S4 Elan?

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:08 pm

When I bought my car there were no air filters of any sort. There had been some damage to the front and any mounting holes for the original air cleaner have been filled during the repair. I bought what I think is an original air cleaner case, and a pair of brackets from Sue Miller, but am still at a bit of a loss as to where and how it should fit. Can anyone guide me, preferably with dimensions of where the holes should be?

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:13 am

Hi Richard,
Some measurements from my S4.....
No guarantee that my air cleaner location is either typical or correct but it may give you something to go on. I don't think the positioning is that critical, it's pretty much determined by all the other stuff that lives in the nose of the car like the headlamp actuators, coolant recoup bottle etc. and the routing of the trunking up to the airbox. I have used the headlamp actuator mounting studs as the datum - if you've converted to electric lifters that won't be much use :roll:

PXL_20220713_100415936.jpg and

Air cleaner 002.jpg and

Air cleaner 006.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:30 pm

Roger,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have no holes for the actuator pods either, as I have moved to electric actuators. The only reference point I have is the drain hole in the centre. I can find the centre line of the car and assume the pods were symmetrical about the centre, but that does not help with a front to back dimension. As you say there is quite a clutter of items in this space and I was hoping to get the air cleaner fixed and work the other items around that.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:17 pm

Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: