Adjusting the needle height in Strombergs

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Mon May 16, 2022 8:55 pm

I want to lean out the mixture on my Stromberg carbs & the needle doesn't seem to want to move, any suggestion on how to move it without destroying it by pulling hard on the needle?
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Billmack » Mon May 16, 2022 9:24 pm

Many needles not intended to move. A nifty adjustable main jet is on the market I have used with success
Billmack
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Tue May 17, 2022 12:03 am

How are you trying to move the needle? With an allen key from the top? There is only limited movement, <4 turns, as I recall. Is the jet set at the right level?
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Tue May 17, 2022 12:45 am

The jet is set at the right level & my needle is of the non adjustable type so no allen key adjustment. The tube where the oil goes in is solid at the bottom so no way to be able to push the needle out. The needles are adjustable by moving them up or down in the piston assy & they are held in place with a screw from the side. The housing that is part of the needle assy. has a flat on it that the screw clamps on. I have the old needles from when I rebuilt the carbs & it looks like I had to grip the needle with some pliers to pull it out, one of them was badly damaged doing this.
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Tue May 17, 2022 12:50 am

To my knowledge, those needles aren't meant to be adjustable but seated, though I guess you do have a little play to work with.

I seem to recall having one stuck in a carb I worked on, too, requiring a strong tug to remove. I ended up going to adjustable needles/pistons.

If the needle is fully seated and the jet is at the right height, your next option might be try a different profile needle - or perhaps a stronger piston spring might reduce the air flow a touch.

EDIT - sorry, I was misreading, you are too rich and want to lean it - perhaps a lighter piston spring?
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Wed May 18, 2022 12:04 am

I just read that if the needle is stuck in the piston, remove the rubber diaphragm & soak the needle/piston in carb cleaner. Will need to buy some carb cleaner & then give it a try.
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: