Dellorto DHLA Overhaul

PostPost by: alaric » Wed May 11, 2022 9:39 pm

Haha I will do that then. Excellent. I have sent an email to Neil already actually, stating what spec the engine is and the symptoms. Thanks for the replies. It's booked in on the 24th, so I've got a couple of weeks to clean up the carbs - which are already extremely clean and probably working perfectly I hasten to add - and get them back onto the car.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:20 pm

Hi all. I thought I'd post a quick update re my carbs. I hope you don't mind me using your thread Roland.

I've stripped the carbs completely, including removal of the throttle shafts. Unfortunately as I very carefully removed the pump jet rod clamps, both of them fell apart. The clamp is a cast U shape and they broke at the corner of the U - same place on both of them. Eurocarbs are out of stock, so I ordered them from a place in Italy but am still waiting.

Anyway I just wondered whether others had this happen. I've screwed the clamps back together and they seem to hold perfectly well, so I suspect they were broken for some time.

Have you lot seen the videos on youtube by Scuderia Usignolo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0jjqcGpTz8

He goes through the strip down and rebuild, then setting up to get the float height right, and adjustment of the pump jet volume. Really meticulous.

Hopefully i'll have the car running again soon.

Sean
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Roland » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:10 am

Sean,

Those U pieces fit really tight on the throttle shafts (at least mine do), they almost seem to be a slight interference fit and spring the U open a fraction. If yours are broken at the back of the U and rely just on the screw clamping them I suspect they will work loose.

I have also found the Scuderia Usignolo video's useful.

My carburettor rebuild seems to have turned into a bit of a mission. The bodies have been vapour blasted and ultrasonic cleaned and I had all the levers and screws colour zinc plated by Doug Taylor in Weston Super Mare. I am just waiting for a Eurocarb order to deliver and then will rebuild them.

Roland
Attachments
IMG_0892.jpeg and
IMG_893.jpeg and
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:46 pm

Good to hear back from you Roland.

The vapour blasting sounds interesting. I have acquired a sonic bath, but fear, from the quick test I've had time to do so far, that it may have been a waste of money. I wonder if steam cleaning would be worth a try?

I have heard back from the Italian supplier. They've sent the clamps, so hopefully they won't get stuck in customs and I'll be building without glue soon.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:42 pm

Hi all.

After three weeks of watching my replacement pump jet clamps make their way from somewhere North of Milan to a sorting depot in Milan, they were returned to sender. So I ordered another pair, this time from a place in the Netherlands. That was last Thursday evening, they arrived today. My wife did warn me not to order from Italy - I was an idiot. They won't let me cancel that order, and rather than just refund the money will send them again, but at least I can progress the car now.

Here's a pic of my nice shiny new clamps :)

20220711_172738.jpg and

So I can now start putting the carbs back together.

If anyone needs a pump jet clamp, I may, at some unknown time in the future, have a couple available.

All the best.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: