DCOE 40 18/19 question

PostPost by: berni29 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:04 pm

Hi

I have googled this, but have pretty much drawn a blank.

Does anyone know if there is a meaningful difference between the Weber 40 DCOE 18 and DCOE 19 carbs?

I am asking because I have one of each on my car! I will be stripping them soon, but wanted to ask ahead of starting the work.

Many thanks

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:35 pm

The 18/19 are a reference to the car they were originally supplied for, and hence how they were configured from the factory. 18 being for a Lotus Elan, don't know about 19.

Apart from the original jetting the only other likely difference is the position of the transition holes. So my first check would be to remove the transition hole covers and compare the positions of the holes. If they match then they may be usable as a pair. If they don't match you'll want to replace one(19) or more of them.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:02 pm

Hi

Thank you for the reply. It looks like the DCOE “19” was original to the Alpina 1600.

I shall be doing a full comparison in due course and will report back.

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:50 am

mbell wrote:The 18/19 are a reference to the car they were originally supplied for, and hence how they were configured from the factory. 18 being for a Lotus Elan, don't know about 19.

Apart from the original jetting the only other likely difference is the position of the transition holes. .

I'm afraid that's not the only difference in different Tipo (model) numbers. A very common difference is the accelerator pump stroke (for instance, different between the Tipo 18 and 31 ), all jetting, spring rate on the accelerator pump mech, size of auxiliary venturis, choke size, etc etc.

With a few exceptions, you're absolutely right in saying that the Tipo number denotes which make & model of car they were originally set up for.
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:03 pm

elans3 wrote:I'm afraid that's not the only difference in different Tipo (model) numbers. A very common difference is the accelerator pump stroke (for instance, different between the Tipo 18 and 31 ), all jetting, spring rate on the accelerator pump mech, size of auxiliary venturis, choke size, etc etc

That's a good point, I kind view all these thing as "configuration", as theoretically you can swap the parts out to correct them. This may not be a realistic view thou due to availability and cost of the parts it likely easier and better to get a different carb if too many items are miss matched. Possibly even buying a couple of new DCOE 151 and correct jetting for them.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:33 pm

Hi Guys

Thank you for your thoughts. I looked again today and somehow they are actually DCOE 40 70/71’s.

I must have got confused when I started to look up all the different types. Doh!

So one is a DCOE 40/70 and the other 40/71.

I have run them through the ultrasonic cleaner and will take them apart shorty and see what we have.

Thanks again

Berni
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: