fuel tank connections

PostPost by: dgym » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:35 pm

Hi all,
I'm attempting to tidy up my fuel lines from tank to carbs as they're currently a bit of a hodge-podge.
I'd like to move over to -AN fittings and perhaps a hard line up the centre of the car (currently a nylon tube)

The bit that's causing difficulty for me firstly is the connection out of the fuel tank. It looks to have been a nut and olive sort of setup? I have the nut part of it on the tube and a rolled section of the tube stopping that nut from coming off, but then a hose is just clamped on.
Can anyone tell me the spec of that nut so i could perhaps put together the rest of it for a neater connection? It's impossible to get a look at the thread or size as it's held in place on the pipe.
This is a late '66 coupe.

any other advice for conversion to -AN much appreciated!
-Jim
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:05 pm

Jim,

I think the parts book just shows a short piece of hose between the tank and the nylon tube going into the chassis. I am away from home at the moment so can’t check my dodgy memory. Maybe someone else can clarify.

Hope this helps,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:30 pm

I've done such a conversion when I installed a fuel pump in the trunk, but left the original nylon hose for eventual return to stock (suits well a road use when sucking from the mechanical pump). I had also considered a piece of stainless line, then found access with the body on and everything a bit finicky, also did not want to drill to attach it, so eventually routed a braided line attached towards the upper right corner of the frame, to interface the braided line of the carbs, again so that this would be reversible (I eventually I found a fitting that could be modified to suit, but this was not straightforward).
This was AN-8 based overall.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:08 pm

You do all know that the parts lists are in the Wiki on this lotuselan.net website, don't you?

I see so many messages referring to off-site viewing of the lists and diagram, that it is clear that some members do not know they are here too.

Anyway here is the fuel tank etc page. Somewhat confusing as it shows two variants of tank.
The normal Elan S3 one is the one furthest from the 'camera'. None of them show any nipples clamps or whatever on the fuel outlet.

https://lotuselan.net/wiki/LA_-_Fuel_-_Tanks_%26_Pipes

Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:37 pm

Bill,

When I try to use the wiki I notice there is a comment apologising that the wiki is incomplete and assume this is the reason I cannot find what I am looking for. I have tried to find the fuel tank image that you have shown and failed again, this must be due to my incompetence. Would you be so kind as to explain how to use the wiki.

Yours in anticipation,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:16 am

RichardHawkins wrote:Bill,

When I try to use the wiki I notice there is a comment apologising that the wiki is incomplete and assume this is the reason I cannot find what I am looking for. I have tried to find the fuel tank image that you have shown and failed again, this must be due to my incompetence. Would you be so kind as to explain how to use the wiki.

Yours in anticipation,

Richard Hawkins

True, the Wiki is incomplete (WIKIs are always incomplete, that is their nature) and Jeff says it has problems, but the parts list stuff seems to work OK.

Click "WIKI - COMING SOON" near the top of any forum index page,
You should reach "Lotus Elan Wiki" page, scroll down
Find heading "SHOP FLOOR"
Click "Elan Parts List"
Find "Pages in category "Elan Parts List""
Look under alphabetic list L (I dunno why the L it is in that place :o )
Click "LA - Fuel and Tanks & Pipes"
Right-Click on the diagram and select "Copy Image Link" (FireFox, Your browser may have different wording)
Go back to your editing of a reply, Click Img button (just above your editing box).
Place insertion point between the ] and[ of the img brackets, right click and select Paste.

When finished composing your reply click SUBMIT button
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:29 pm

Bill,

Thanks for the help, I have followed your instructions and found the same page in the parts book that you displayed.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: