151 float height

PostPost by: webbslinger » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:29 am

I got these instructions for setting Weber 151 floats from Pierce Manifold today. They said they received this from Weber just a couple of weeks ago. Note the 2mm limit for needle valve travel.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210809-182023_OfficeSuite.jpg and
webbslinger
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:03 am

Seems about what Keith mentions in his White Paper. 25mm from top, top plate is 10mm.
Believe Keith goes on to say measure while engine is running!
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:54 am

H20hamelan

The white paper states 25 mm from the cover mating surface, The reason is to carry it out running is the reliability of the fuel level in the bowl. it can be done static but must be carried out quickly after stopping the engine
I was supplied with 12 mm distance with my 151 carbs.

I only use the white paper method which is superior.
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:09 pm

Wonder what happened.
Mine runs great. Thought I had it at the 25mm from top of top plate?
Will check.
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: webbslinger » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:50 pm

I was just throwing that out there as it is the "official" Weber setting. But perhaps that means generic. I've been using the vernier method as well, using 25mm from the base. But I wanted to check this method out, so yesterday I carefully adjusted the floats and this morning measured the fuel height. The gas in both carbs is 27.5 mm down.
webbslinger
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:37 pm

- I probably got to thinking that the ideal way while car is running was/is as pictured in the second photo of the “Optical Fuel Level Tool” (now replaced with strips of paper?) as mentioned car running. Though this is jet cover, which I seem to have mistaken.

Optical_Fuel_Level_Tool_Instructions.pdf
(637.32 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: webbslinger » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:13 am

Unresolved threads are annoying, so two things - first, I didn't want anyone thinking I was going to leave it for long with the progression afr in the low 11s, so tried going back to F8 idle jets. Previously I'd tried F8s up to 50, which was the biggest F8s I had, and then jumped to F950s, thinking that was the next step. At first they were fine but a number of other changes rendered them too lean. Then I tried the F650s and they were too rich, which is where this thread started.
So that gets to the second thing - the answer to my search for something in-between a F950 and a F650 turned out to be a F860.
Full disclosure though, I didn't come up with that myself, I called an expert. He said that TCs liked F8 idle jets and given where I was at, F860s were the first ones he thought I should try. Bingo - that's why I refered to the guy as expert. Now the whole progression phase afr is in the 12s, the idle is easily kept in the 13s, and there's no hesitation anywhere.
webbslinger
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: