Long-term fuel saga

PostPost by: Donels » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:31 pm

It does sound like fuel starvation. Going up hill will require the throttle to be open more than during cruise, ie fuel consumption continuously higher for longer than acceleration. Carbs not getting sufficient fuel so start to run dry and misfire, lack of power occurs. Stop and idle refills the carbs, hey presto, it's all ok again.

Using a human analogy, it would indicate a weak heart, so I would start with the pump. Blocked arteries would do the same, so check the pipes are clear.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Gorpon73 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:49 pm

Well, I've replaced all the hoses and filters and seems to be running ok. There was also some cracking at some junctures in the hosing which I suspect may have been causing a bad seal.

I've got a nice Fuel King regulator and plan on relocating everything to the trunk. I've looked around and seen several configurations and they look fine.

My only remaining question is, can anyone comment on how they physically mounted the pump and fuel regulator to the inside body of the trunk? I'm reluctant to drill holes in the body to mount the brackets.....
Gorpon73
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TomR » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:40 pm

I used vibration absorbing mounts: threaded stud sticking out of a rubber block with really good adhesive on the other side of the rubber (e.g. https://www.mcmaster.com/vibration-control-mounts/)
TomR
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Gorpon73 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:35 pm

Interesting. Good idea. I thought about gluing the brackets on but assumed I'd get lambasted!! :lol:
Gorpon73
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:02 am

Gorpon73 wrote:Interesting. Good idea. I thought about gluing the brackets on but assumed I'd get lambasted!! :lol:

No, he means the vibration dampers are built that way.... & yes you would rightfully be lambasted... what would happen if the glue failed?

Here's my install in the trunk:
IMG_2640.jpg and

I added a reinforcement plate the other side of the GRP:
IMG_2636.jpg and

The Huco fuel pump & inlet fuel filter are in the boot & a pressure regulator is in the engine bay:
IMG_2904.jpg and
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:00 am

I would put the regulator in the engine bay near the carbs not in the boot. When accelerating or braking the G force affect on the fuel head from one end of the car to the other is significant and changes the fuel pressure at the carbs.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gorpon73 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:04 pm

Great, thanks.

Yes, I was considering mounting the regulator in the engine bay as I could use the holes already drilled where the pump used to be.

I'm not super keen on drilling more holes through the bulkhead in the trunk, but may be the only thorough method....
Gorpon73
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: