Fuel gauge sender unit?

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Fri May 14, 2021 2:45 pm

Hi all, anyone know what the fuel tank sender unit is off? Looked at the one at Matty and co and it screws in, ours is the later +2 type tank with the lock ring fitting. Looks Leyland of some sort, perhaps MG? cheers.
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Tue May 18, 2021 7:20 pm

Hi Jasper
Try looking at the classic Mini fuel sender, I know they changed over from a six screw type to a locking ring type later in production. Look on eBay if necessary and send the seller a note asking for measurement if you can't find one locally to look at.

I have a feeling Land Rover of the period also used a similar set up, will have a look in the Robinshaw book to see if they give any details there. Perhaps someone with the Lotus Parts List for the +2's can come up with a part number to chase down.
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Tue May 18, 2021 7:43 pm

Jasper
Checked Robinshaw but shows nothing about tank gauges unfortunately
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue May 18, 2021 8:03 pm

I've looked in past and failed, I did come across this list thou:
https://www.smiths-instruments.co.uk/tank-senders

I failed to correctly identify the one for the +2. In the end I repaired my current one and refitted it.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Wed May 19, 2021 2:54 pm

Done the same repair myself. Looks very much like an XJS sender with the low fuel sender. However managed to repair the old one. Thanks guys. :D
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Wed May 19, 2021 8:10 pm

Just looked at an MGB sender unit. wonder if the later rubber bumper models had a low fuel light on? I think either the Mini as suggested or the MGB one could be made to fit without the low fuel light. Both can be bought with the later type locking ring fitting. We'll see if the repair fails! Working so far. :D
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Thu May 20, 2021 1:29 am

Forgot about the Smiths people, rang them about a replacement gauge, very helpful, worth a call to check it out just in case yours fails?
Worth putting the answer here for those that follow
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: