Strombergs, foam filters and ram pipes

PostPost by: 661 » Wed May 05, 2021 4:25 pm

The old foam filter is falling apart. It's a pipercross and I suspect I shall have to get a new back plate too and start again as it's so old ( Pat Thomas relic)
I'm not going down the box and trunking route, have called Kelsports and await their reply, so I ask;
Any recent foam filter purchases?
Do the Strombergs prefer a small trumpet?

I thank you.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Wed May 05, 2021 6:19 pm

if the trumpets do not have sufficient free space around them (like in an enclosure), I doubt the small difference their length would make on a street engine would be perceptible. Rather than aiming at tuning the pressure wave, I would only aim at getting the best flow when selecting the foam in this situation.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Thu May 06, 2021 5:35 am

nmauduit wrote:if the trumpets do not have sufficient free space around them (like in an enclosure), I doubt the small difference their length would make on a street engine would be perceptible. Rather than aiming at tuning the pressure wave, I would only aim at getting the best flow when selecting the foam in this situation.

The effect of tuning induction length on siamesed ports is far less than a head with one port per cylinder, so ram pipe length is less likely to have a significant effect on a Stromberg head. As mentioned above, its more about a decent flow rather than harmonic tuning.

Each to their own, but Mr Chapman thought it worth the extra expense of an air box and trunking to pick up cold (relatively) high pressure air from in front of the radiator.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: deryck » Thu May 06, 2021 2:24 pm

Hi Graeme

Let me know by email what you need and ill sort FOC if still available,

pipercoss is in our group
hope thats of help

best regards
Deryck

[email protected]
deryck
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Thu May 06, 2021 3:08 pm

Amazing, thank you.Unsurprisingly, you have email!
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: