Original air filter

PostPost by: Mrozik » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:43 pm

I'm coverting my Sprint back to the original the air intake system and would be very grateful for some advice/diagramme/photo of where/how the original airbox filter was located and fixed to the body?
Many thanks
Mrozik
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:28 pm

The air filter is mounted on it's side behind the grille via two brackets as shown in the attached diagram from the parts list.......
Air cleaner mountings.png and

Photos of my S4.....
Air cleaner 003.jpg and
Air cleaner 006.jpg and
Air cleaner 002.jpg and
Air cleaner 001.jpg and

Hope this helps.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mrozik » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:05 am

Thanks Roger, that's brilliant
John
Mrozik
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:20 am

Hi John,
Something else I've just remembered....
When you come to fit the air cleaner element you may find that items currently available are too deep to fit in the canister and the cover cannot be fully closed. Functionally it does not matter as it's the "dirty" side which is exposed but it doesn't look right and it can be easily overcome by removing the rubber seals from the cleaner body and trimming down the element.
Air filter element - cut down 001.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:07 pm

I'd been hunting for a correct air filter having found the Fram one I'd bought was too deep. Then I saw your post.

Thank you Roger.
Attachments
20210919_205828.jpg and
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: quaybook » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:17 pm

The paper filters that are the nearest fit are for the Mk 1 Ford Fiesta .9 or 1.1 litre I believe, Wix WA6401 is one I used to use. However, I have now fitted a foam filter by Pipercross, again intended for the Fiesta - ref no PX03. It has the same fit problems as the others, but I managed to get the lid pretty much closed using it. The foam filter breaths more freely than the paper ones at the cost of slightly increased intake noise. It is more expensive, but can be cleaned, re-oiled and reused unlike the paper ones.

Vernon
Elan S2 26/5614
Alfa Romeo Alfetta Berlina 1974
Westfield 7SE
quaybook
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:55 pm

I use the WA6401 and squeeze it down in thickness in a large woodworking vice, rotating and squeezing so it all gets done. The paper buckles but doesn't tear.

As the recommended replacement period is 12,000 miles (20,000 km) it's only an occasional job for most people..
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:59 pm

You can get a K&N Filter that fits nicely into the original cannister with no fettling. Be careful there are a few that look the same but are too thick.
I can probably find the part number if interested.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:57 pm

cliveyboy wrote:You can get a K&N Filter that fits nicely into the original cannister with no fettling. Be careful there are a few that look the same but are too thick.
I can probably find the part number if interested.
Clive

I bought one from you a few years ago. I tried to find some more for my other cars, but it seems that part has been discontinued.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:25 pm

I did not realise they have since been discontinued.
I still have a few left if your interested.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:21 am

cliveyboy wrote:I did not realise they have since been discontinued.
I still have a few left if your interested.
Clive

I am! Two please :-)
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:59 am

I read a test maybe 10-15 years ago that compared oiled-gauze (e.g. K&N) filters to the paper type. The upshot was that while a freshly cleaned and oiled gauze filter passed more air, 1) passing more air means also passing more finer contaminants (not necessarily a problem for older engines with larger tolerances), and 2) the perfosnve of the gauze filter varied more widely over the maintenance-cycle than did the performance of a paper filter.

But most of us probably won't notice any difference so feel free to ignore this.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:18 am

Veg
There is the logic that a mesh of a certain grade will only stop particles bigger than the mesh. That is perfectly true if you just have one mesh at 90 degrees to flow. However it is possible to design filters to stop smaller particles with the same mesh with multiple layers and the angle etc at which the air hits that mesh.
The clever bit is getting high air flow with high filtration where the two are usually complete opposites.
Modern filter technology has vastly improved over the years and there are certainly occasions where a performance filter has little advantage over the original manufacturers one. A lot of modern cars run the same filter through out the range so if you have a 200hp car and the air filter is used on the 500bhp model not much logic in going performance after market.
I would certainly choose a new manufacturers filter over a cheap unknown quality performance one.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:50 am

Hmmm an interesting thread (the last few posts about the K&N type filter element),
I too bought one of these elements off Clive a number (?) of years ago and fitted it and forgot about it. It was a great replacement at the time - thanks Clive. But now reading this I realise that maybe I should take it out and clean it once in a while, although the car, like many I guess, doesn't exactly do many miles each year.
What is the procedure for this does any one know. If it was oiled (not sure mine was), I guess you cant just blow it out it must have to be cleaned in some sort of solvent. What is it then re- oiled with? Something special I would have thought not just engine oil?
Any ideas?
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:15 am

I was a big fan of David Vizard when I was young. I still have a very dog eared copy of 'How to modify your mini' and a number of minis in my ownership were hacked about following David's advice.

He was a big fan of K&N filtration, and I came across a talk he gave about minis which included a section on K&N. Its all a bit dated now, and I am not sure his explanation of how they work holds much water, but it is interesting none the less.

Section on filtration starts at 4:27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow5cGV7bXCw&t=188s
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: