webers cold start struggle

PostPost by: Craven » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:15 pm

It seems almost universal that the choke on a Weber DCOE is superfluous yet its complexity & implantation must equal that of the main carburettor itself, adding considerably to the cost.
Even playing around with throttle can’t provide the continuous and variable fuel air mixture required to keep a cold engine running. Its fitted, it works and you paid for it why not use it.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:31 pm

RogerFrench wrote:I don't really have a dog in this fight, but over the years I've had all sorts of cars with carburetters, Zenith, Solex, SU, Stromberg, Keihin, Weber, Dell'Orto, etc.
One thing I've found for each one is that one size doesn't fit all!
Among our cars is a 67 S3 with modifications including 40 DHLA s and electric fuel pump.
Received wisdom is that I don't need a choke cable, I can start like Elans3 above. True, I can.
But, if I pull the choke it starts just as readily, and I don't need to tickle, I push it in as it warms up. Since this avoids my having to pump a puddle of petrol, I'll stick with it.

Yes that's right, because the Dellorto DHLA has a completely different type of choke mechanism, and does respond to the use of it.
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:40 pm

Craven wrote:It seems almost universal that the choke on a Weber DCOE is superfluous yet its complexity & implantation must equal that of the main carburettor itself, adding considerably to the cost.
Even playing around with throttle can’t provide the continuous and variable fuel air mixture required to keep a cold engine running. Its fitted, it works and you paid for it why not use it.

I guess because a well set-up pair of Webers with full float chambers will start instantly with a small number of pumps, and with 5 seconds of tickling, they will idle nicely. That was discovered not long after they came out in the early 60's, and the choke mechanisms weren't used. They got stuck through lack of use and created problems, and either the choke cables were disconnected, or the choke lever mechanism was replaced with the blanking plate that Weber made specifically for those people who removed it.
https://www.webcon.co.uk/products/15129 ... aluminium/
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: