S4 starting

PostPost by: nickspeed » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:35 pm

On taking a closer look at how the choke operates - there's no cable to the back carb, and therefore no choke! Assume the single choke cable should run from the dashboard to the linkage on the front carb, and then on through a second outer cable to the rear carb? If that's correct I need to source a new cable, and a bracket (there's not one currently) for the back carb to locate the outer cable. The linkage on the back carb seems to be all there.
Attachments
AB4ADB0D-BF58-48B4-9C71-A6F62F4A4FC1.jpeg and
nickspeed
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nickspeed » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:39 pm

On taking a closer look at how the choke operates - there's no cable to the back carb, and therefore no choke! Assume the single choke cable should run from the dashboard to the linkage on the front carb, and then on through a second outer cable to the rear carb? If that's correct I need to source a new cable, and a bracket (there's not one currently) for the back carb to locate the outer cable. The linkage on the back carb seems to be all there.
Attachments
FF23C285-ACE7-4946-8E76-D677B872D3EA.jpeg and
nickspeed
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:49 pm

Hi Nick,
Yes you have it right, the original cable has a two piece outer and one piece inner which passes through the front choke lever and on to the rear. There is an illustration in the W/S Manual if you have that. The cable is available from Paul Matty and probably the other Lotus suppliers too but the brackets are likely to be more difficult to source.

https://paulmattysportscars.co.uk/produ ... romberg-2/

I do have a drawing of the front bracket if you need it to get something made up. Your existing bracket on the front carb may well be usable on the rear one.
Attachments
CHoke cable bracket 002.jpg and
Front carb bracket
CHoke cable bracket 007.jpg and
Rear carb bracket
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nickspeed » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:17 pm

Thank you. That's really helpful. Particularly the photo of the rear carb bracket - now know what I'm looking for! Do you know how the other end of this second outer locates? Do I need another bracket. Cannot see this in the drawing I have. Thanks again.
nickspeed
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:35 pm

nickspeed wrote:Thank you. That's really helpful. Particularly the photo of the rear carb bracket - now know what I'm looking for! Do you know how the other end of this second outer locates? Do I need another bracket. Cannot see this in the drawing I have. Thanks again.

You just need the two brackets I have shown above. The rear (short) part of the outer cable is secured in the ferrule at the bottom of the front bracket and by the clip on the rear bracket. I was suggesting that your existing front bracket may be usable on the rear carb to save you sourcing or fabricating the "correct" item. Is that what you were asking?
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nickspeed » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:48 pm

Didn't realise there was a fixing on the bottom of the front carb bracket to secure the second outer. Was wondering it needed another bracket to secure it as it leaves the front carb. Will take a look in the morning - have a feeling my front carb bracket may be different to the one in your photo
nickspeed
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:12 am

I had a similar issue with my S4 running Strombergs, originally had a bit of a heath robinson set up operating the choke on both carbs, went to operating on one carb and had starting issues if car was left for a few weeks.
Eventually utilised a system I found on this forum which operated choke on both carbs and that worked for me.
have a look at this posting for info on this set up
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=34201&p=292559#p292559
Hope this helps, good luck with sorting out your problems
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Lotus Elise S1 - Racing Green
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:50 am

Rob P wrote:Eventually utilised a system I found on this forum which operated choke on both carbs and that worked for me.
have a look at this posting for info on this set up
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=34201&p=292559#p292559
Hope this helps, good luck with sorting out your problems

Just for the record that was my design originally which I fitted soon after I got the car back in the 70's .. it's still fitted and works well. Keith (saildrive 2001) who you copied it from, refined it a bit in 2012. Glad it worked for you too.
More details here.....viewtopic.php?f=40&t=26470
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nickspeed » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:29 pm

Took a look at the bracket on the front carb, and indeed it is different to the photo you posted. It is like this, and has no provision for allowing the inner cable, plus second part outer, to continue on to the front carb. There's no problem in getting a cable, although the outer is one continuous, and will need cutting in to two. I'm emailing Sue Miller, Vincent Hayden and Matty's to see if they have any brackets
nickspeed
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nickspeed » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:25 am

To oldelanman

Hi. Sorry, don't know your name. Have chased around for the brackets, but no luck so far. Thinking I'm going to have at least the front one made. My bracket is different to yours, with no provision for running the cable on to the rear carb. You mentioned that you have a drawing for the front bracket, and I wonder if it would be possible to access it? My email if needed is [email protected]. With thanks again, Nick
nickspeed
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:22 pm

Hi Nick,
I've sent you an email
Regards,
Roger
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear