Yes,
An Ermine is Stoataly different.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:31 am

To tell the truth with a wideband i'm in the dark :?
It's all come about because of Covid and i have a lot of free time on my hands.
When i bought my last 1973 +2S130 there was a 1970's tool that came with it a "Hawk Carburetor Air Fuel Tester". I put the probe up the Exhaust Pipe of my 1978 TVR 3000S after changing jets in the Carb and got 11.3 AFR figure.
I looked on the internet and saw O2/Sensor kits for about £190 and thought that's cheaper than a Rolling Road session.
I've just got to drill a hole in the Exhaust and fit the O2 Boss.
Seems better than just looking at Spark Plug colours.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:37 pm

alan.barker wrote:I've just got to drill a hole in the Exhaust and fit the O2 Boss.
Seems better than just looking at Spark Plug colours.

it is better in my opinion, but the bung has to be welded on the header, and if at all possible at a suitable distance from the chambers (about 80cm iirc to get the proper exhaust gaz temperature...) and orientation so that it does not gather humidity etc. (not vertical) - it is more work , but a lot more stable and accurate compared to sensors attached to the muffler.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:34 pm

I had mine welded into the main pipe just after the y, around the gearbox. As mentioned angled to drain any condensed humility out.

I have mine fitted to the dash and was able to route the cabling up the transmission tunnel and under the center console/dash.

I am not sure which one you looking at but my AEM has a RS232 serial output that just requires a connector adding, this allows for very easy/cheap data logging from it to a computer. It worth considering if the one you are looking can do that as it's a useful feature.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:44 am

Hi Mbell thanks.
The kit i bought is like your's AEM with connection to Serial port.
Must get in contact with my welder friend to attach sensor boss.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:00 am

These AFR developments are quite interesting and a useful introduction has been given by a You Tube presenter in Belgium (D3Shooter in very good English for those of us who have forgotten our Dutch):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbXO_l4srP4

Mr Shooter (I'm no sure that this is his name) gives a full presentation of the AER system as applied to classic cars (in this case it is a Mini 1275GT).

For Elise fans he also patiently explains how to solve a number of body repair subjects which are fascinating.

As mentioned above, this is a good way to keep an eye on mixture. For GTS cars it is not "outlawed" by the FIA to have the welded-in lambda bung, but I am not sure that the chaps in blazers want to see new fangled Bosch wide band sensors or gauges.

I will certainly fit one of these gauges to my GTS project.
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:21 am

Hi Frogelan,
sorry but the 1275GT Mini has a square front. The one in the video is normal Mini front.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:46 am

Correct. I did not double check. Miller excuses.
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: