Franck's BP emulsion tubes

PostPost by: SENC » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:35 pm

Just wanted to share a recommendation for Keith Franck's new BP emulsion tubes for any of you running Weber 40DCOEs and 30mm chokes - my little 7 makes me smile everytime in it, but with these tubes installed it is truly a sh*t-eating grin. Don't try them if you like endless tweaking, but if you are ready to eliminate the off idle hesitation and have great tractability and power throughout the rpm range, well, I think he's found it with these. I'm very impressed. :D

You can follow his developments for these carbs at his io group, sidedraft central. https://vintagetechnologygarage.groups.io/g/sidedraft/
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:44 am

What have you changed from the Standard Weber setup, just 4 of the "BP Main Circuit Tubes"

These just replace the standard Emulsion tubes?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:57 pm

By curiosity (and the never quenched thurst of the perfect tune and extra hp I must admit) I tried last October the new at the time AB "hypotube"(recommended by him for my specific application), and was not convinced by the dyno session: in retrospect these appear to me as a yet an other variation of emulsion tubes, and I did not see them improving on a decently set up road car (actually minus 5HP on a road engine of around 130, and no "magical" effect mid range or wherever). Maybe it's just me...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:35 am

pharriso wrote:What have you changed from the Standard Weber setup, just 4 of the "BP Main Circuit Tubes"

These just replace the standard Emulsion tubes?

The standard for the Seven is 115 fuel jets and 180 dry jets in the F16 emulsion tube, with a 50F9 idlejets, Keith's NF and now BP tubes seem to be much more efficient at pulling air into the mixture, so my initial test was with 115 air jets. With the NF jets, I was not getting the impact on lower rpm mixture (to the extent I could feel it, I'm not doing it by proper testing, I acknowledge) I expected by big shifts in the air jets. So, those tubes were better in the midrange and at high rpm than stock F16, and also better at lower rpms but still left a bit to be desired that I was not being successful in tuniing with jet changes. The newer BP tubes eliminated the low rpm stumble immediately with 115/115 and kept performing throught the rpm range. I have not yet had time to tweak, but will see if I can improve

He also makes idle jets (what he calls a hypojet version for engines with strong manifold vacuum and I don't remember the name of the other for engines with less vacuum. I have not experimented witth these, yet, as I don't have a reliable way to test vacuum.

Phil - I'd be happy to loan you my older version NF tubes for trial if you'd like.
Last edited by SENC on Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:59 am

Keith sells H and W idle jets, the W jets are for 18"hg or less.

I have a set of his W40 idle jets and currently have them set up to 12.5 afr cruise, i think they are much smoother than stock jets and easier to set up with his sliding cover over air holes.

As for the Tubes, i have the VF tubes with 36mm chokes and it goes like a stabbed rat although they needed a bit of tweaking to lean out the tip in.

I'd be interested to hear someones opinion on the new tubes that have driven a car with the VF tubes fitted.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MartinH » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:32 am

@ NMAUDUIT

"and was not convinced by the dyno session:"

Apologies for butting in on this chat, but I notice you are in France and clearly someone who is always looking to optimise the performance of your Elan. Do you know someone with a dyno that has good knowlede of tuning the TC engine, preferably not too far from Normandie, Gaillon/Vernon? Where in France are you?

Martin
1967 Elan convertible S4 body and Spyder chassis
Ducati Monster S4
Ducati 1098s
MartinH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:01 am

Hello Martin,

I'm near Paris on the east side, went to an understanding dyno less than an hour away (south part of 77) as many of them do the tuning themselves using lots of electronics (on modern cars run by maps): the owner did not have experience with carbs but let me do it with my equipment, spare jets etc. while he was just launching the pulls on the dyno. My car had been equipped with a wideband lambda sensor, which helped me get closer to a decent tune prior to that. Hopefully you should be able to find someone closer to you, but if you want to get in touch with him this is Carprog in 77690 (fyi it took us a good hour to strap the car on the dyno, quite small for the setup - and he was very helpful with that, too).

Nic
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Boomer100E » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:21 am

Hi Chris,
I've been running with Keith's VF tubes on my Sprint-spec TC for a couple of years now. Recently, I also moved up from 33mm to 36mm chokes and immediately noticed the engine pulling more strongly at higher revs, right up to the red line.
Initially, found that the W40/2 idle jets (that had been working nicely along with the 33mm chokes), now ran out of steam around 2k rpm, before the VF tubes tipped-in. Moving to W45 idle jets filled in the gap and made the car driveable again!
Great fun now, but I still think there is some room for improvement at transition. So I'm interested to hear what "tweaks" you applied to achieve this on your Elan.
My current set-up: 40DCOE18, 36 chokes, VF tubes, 130 main, 145 air, W45/2
Cheers, Doug
Boomer100E
New-tral

PostPost by: Flying Banana » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:46 pm

In the Alfa community a lot of folks use AFR dataloggers such as the wideband Zeitronix ZT-22 for tuning webers. This allows you to log AFR versus rpm (but not load like a true 3D system), but nonetheless shows where transitions are weak and what the impact of each change made is. A lot of the modified ETs out there have been shown (using data) to be subjective at best. You can create you own modified ETs via obtaining a set of jet drills and a soldering iron and experimenting with both placement and size of the holes drilled to change the emulsion and when this happens (with respect to fuel level, etc).

Without the data, sometimes a transition from rich to weak (or viceversa) can feel like an improvement due to the change in mixture. Generally we aim for around 12.5 to 13.5 as a target AFR (which is pretty difficult to obtain across all rpm with Webers), but it's especially important not to go weak at high rpm!
1966 FHC S3 Elan
1969 Alfa Giulia Stepnose - halfway Alfaholics GTA-R
1998 Caterham 7 Superlight R
Flying Banana
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:04 pm

In the US you can get a AEM wideband for $130. I've just spent ~$17 on a serial connector and serial to USB-C cable that allows me to log the data straight to my phone.

It doesn't do RPM directly but I expect to be able to figure it out from the data if doing repeatable things. If not I'll point the camera at the tach and record the rpm on a video. Then cross reference the time stamp between data and video.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:57 am

Fascinating stuff. Can anyone tell me the difference between BP tubes and ordinary ones? A phot comparison perhaps. Also are these available in Europe or does Franck do mail order? Cannot find him on the internet. Cheers.
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:36 am

I dropped some of his special Dellorto tubes into my Sprint, it made a huge difference.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:50 am

Mazzers - yes but where do you buy them? D
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:53 am

From Keith.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:29 pm

Try looking up :-
Keith franck sidedraft central, on google. That should give you a way in. He is a retired scientist who has been working on improving Weber and other carburettors for many years now.
some fascinating stuff there. You may have to join a yahoo group for access. eventually you will find a webstore.
Eric in Burnley
S3SE
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: