Lotus Elan

HUCO located in boot 133000

PostPost by: baileyman » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:06 pm

This is described as self-priming. Does anyone else have different experience? I find it will not lift the 15" to it's location next to the tank. If primed, it works. If not, it just chugs. I hope to never run dry. John
baileyman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:41 pm

Mine is next to the tank on the outlet side and it pulls up the fuel no problem. Are you sure you don’t have an air leak in the pickup hose etc? Chugs away until carbs are full and then stops.
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: derek uk » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:11 pm

The Huco 133010 can be used in the engine bay if you prefer that. Pressure is 1.4psi and is a puller pump, unlike a 133000 or Facet which is a pusher. Huco should be fitted on it's side even if it does look as if it appears to favour vertical fitting. It will work vertically but is spec'd for horizontal. Beware the O rings when adjusting the inlet and outlet positions.
derek uk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:19 am

I didn't know they should be mounted horizontal.
Where did you get that info from
Thanks
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: derek uk » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:43 am

If you do a Google image search for Huco fuel pump a picture of the Huco I fitted to my Saab 96 is among them. It goes to this thread. http://saab-v4.co.uk/speedball/topic.asp?topic_id=7241
I responded to a post by a German who had fitted one to his Porsche 356 and he said that it should be horizontal. He posted a pic of his. In the Google image pictures you'll find then fitted both ways. As I said it looks logical to mount then vertically and it looks neater. The rather similar SU pumps, single and double are fitted horizontally in all installations as far as I can see. There are metal bodied versions of this pump which look virtually the same and came first I think. Used by Ford on some small cars with carbs. I have one of those on the shelf. They have a die cast alloy working end with a blue painted housing. Made by Hardi.
If you try one you can try both ways before fixing permanently
derek uk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:28 am

I have had a Huco pump on my 1978 TVR 3000S for 4 years and a Huco pump on my 1976 TVR 3000M for 2 years.
Both fitted vertical NO problem.
I just looked at the fitting Instructions Huco which came with Huco pump and NO mention of fitting vertical.
So on my 2 TVRs i will leave them vertical.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: