Stromberg throttle cable

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:32 pm

Thanks for those Roger. It was the inner cable fixing to the carbs themselves I was after so your pictures were perfect. My attachment is not like that - picture below - which makes me wonder why someone would mess around with a very simple and perfectly adequate method. The only thing I can think of is that it looks like you have to pull the cable through the nipple to remove it and that does lend itself to the end fraying. Whichever DPO constructed my clamp must have wanted to avoid that as you can take it off without undoing the cable. Taking it off is very simple but putting it back on requires considerable experience of microsurgery :lol:

Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:19 pm

Oh my goodness!

Mine is the original type like Roger's, easy to loosen and slip through and pull the whole thing out at the pedal-end, however when I bought a new one not terribly long ago from one of the US usual suspects, the sleeve was too short. I inquired about this and was told that that's how they came from the maker, so I improvised by using a short piece from the old sleeve grafted-on with a couple of layers of heat-shrink tubing. So far so good, although I've hardly put any miles on it. To prevent fraying at the carb-end, I trimmed the cable to a decent length and then tinned the end, same way you'd tin an electrical wire to be soldered. Makes getting it back into the clamp really easy!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:38 pm

Hi Stuart,
Looks like your lever is clamped rigidly to the coupling shaft. The original set-up allows the lever to rotate slightly on the shaft and this is necessary so that the choke levers can rotate the throttle shaft to achieve fast idle without acting against the throttle cable return spring. My photo doesn't show that very clearly as I can't get the camera in there but the parts list does show the component parts.

Screenshot (1).png and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:27 pm

Well you live and learn as they say. Yes, that's exactly what happens and is probably partly why the choke cable is tough to pull out. I'll have to investigate what bits I'm short of and see if they're available. The set up I have now works perfectly well and has done for decades but it's always niggled me slightly so an investigation wouldn't be a bad thing to do. Thanks again.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:22 pm

h20hamelan wrote:Anyone know the source to purchase, or are they standard bike cables?
Thought they were thicker?

Ray @RDent carries the standard LHD Stromberg throttle cables - 36S0703N $48.00, he also notes "Cable termination at one end (pedal end) only. No additional adjuster section as cable above. Adjust pedal free play at carburetor attachment."
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: