Plus 2 Fuel pipe - weep at tank banjo

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Sun May 17, 2020 9:39 am

I thought that I had cured my fuel leak from the tank banjo when I replaced my tank, but it looks like I've still got a slight weep, which I'm not happy with for obvious reasons - I found some sticky brown residue on the olive nut when I checked after successfully bleeding the brakes.
It is annoying as it's a pain to get at. I'm planning to take off the banjo, replace the copper washers I used on the main bolt with fibre washers and try to reseal the olive that fits on the fuel pipe if I can't get a new one - if I can't then maybe move the olive back on the pipe and cut a cm or so off the end of the pipe.
Can anyone recommend a sealant that will work on the fibre washers and the olive - I know they should be dry but I think I need all the help I can get with this one!
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun May 17, 2020 10:11 am

i ave always applied fibre banjo fuel gaskets dry without problems but You could try this

https://www.permatex.com/products/gaske ... e-sealant/

or my old favourite as an engine gasket sealant .....Permatex / Loctite - Aviation gasket sealant No3

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Sun May 17, 2020 11:17 am

Hi Rohan - many thanks for that - I see that Hylomar Blue is also polyester urethene based - I'll try it as I've got a tube to hand.
Regards
Matt
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sun May 17, 2020 11:29 am

I have never had the question of fibre washer/petrol compatibility answered. Have you tried single use copper crush washers?
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Sun May 17, 2020 12:51 pm

I'd used copper washers on the banjo previously - annealed them and got them nice and tight. I'm not sure if they were leaking or if the olive was, but I've now used fibre washers on the banjo - if they are good enough for Rohan they are good enough for me :-). Fitted them with Hylomar Blue and popped some more Hylomar around the olive and the sealing edge in the banjo so a bit of belt and braces. So far it hasn't leaked - but I've only had a couple of gallons in the tank for a couple of hours. I'll leave it overnight and see if its OK tomorrow.
I'd be tempted to use 'Dowty' washers on the banjo if I still have leaks. See https://www.barnwell.co.uk/products/bonded-seals/ They which are similar to copper crush ones. Used them on the fuel taps on all my old brit bikes and they never leaked. However I had fibre washers to hand so stuck them in.
While I was at I checked the brakes and did a final bleed - just a couple of small bubbles from each and a nice stiff pedal so they are pretty much done, hopefully I'll get out for a drive tomorrow!
Last edited by Matt Elan on Mon May 18, 2020 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon May 18, 2020 6:09 am

+1 Fibre Washers no problem
Like on Carb Banjos.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AdrianSi » Mon May 18, 2020 2:36 pm

Simlar issue here too... Fibre washers was the only way I managed to stop it. All good a few years on... just the tank itself is porous now :?
AdrianSi
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: