Electric fuel pump elan +2

PostPost by: Dieschelan » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:11 am

Hi

Where is the best place to install the fuel pump in a plus 2? I bought a Huco fuel pump and I’m looking for the best place to install in the engine bay.

Regards

Diego
Dieschelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:54 am

I put mine to the left of the coil, under the air box. Inertia cut off switch from a Ford Ka next to the bonnet latch on the carb side of the engine. Mounted on a bracket made from a strip of aluminium.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:13 pm

And if you can find make an isolating bracket (at least some rubber between body and bracket), not only will the pump make noise, it will vibrate also.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:22 pm

My pump is mounted by the pedal box (on a rubber mount).
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:26 pm

This pump doesn't seem to need any isolation. The Huco fitted to my car is hard mounted to the inner panel. I can barely hear it with the engine not running. A very quiet tick tick tick and that's it.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:28 pm

I have tried three, none the Huco. They all have more vibration than I would like on the +2
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dieschelan » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:54 pm

Can someone put some photos?
Dieschelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:01 pm

Longer term I want to move it to the rear of the car but this is a convenient spot for access and making connections and close to where it was fired when I got the car.
Attachments
IMG_20200329_095800.jpg and
Elec pump
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:02 pm

Dieschelan wrote:Can someone put some photos?

Sure:

IMG_6261.jpg and
Located under air box, between Cylinder intakes 1 and 2.

InkedIMG_6483_LI.jpg and
Yellow: Pump, Orange: Filter, Cyan: Cutoff switch.

A small note of caution. When adjusting the angle of the inlet and outlet spigots on the Huco pump, do not undo them all the way. Do not let the spigots come all the way out of the cylinders they are seated in, or the silicone O ring will come out and it's a bastard to get back in again. Unscrew the screw, then hold the spigot down while rotating to the required position. Yes, it will move up and down slightly as you turn it, thanks to the serrations it is mating with on the pump body. Just don't let it come out!

@mbell - that's a different pump design which I guess uses a motor and impeller, hence noisy. The Huco has a solenoid and plunger like the old electric pumps, so it's much quieter.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dieschelan » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:21 pm

Has someone mounted the fuel pump near the radiator? It’s not recomended to install it near to the heat.
Dieschelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: awatkins » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:56 pm

Regarding mounting potentially noisy pumps, Facet supplies an FPA905 pump mounting kit (see
https://www.demon-tweeks.com/us/facet-fuel-pump-rubber-mounting-kit-fsefpa905/)
that I used to mount one of their reciprocating pumps to a steel-frame car and it reduced the ticking/thumping noise to a dull thumping just audible enough that I could make out when the float bowls were filled. With the engine running it was inaudible.

It would probably have a relatively similar effect on the usually much noisier rotary pumps.

And it’s inexpensive.
awatkins
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:15 am

Dieschelan wrote:Hi

Where is the best place to install the fuel pump in a plus 2? I bought a Huco fuel pump and I’m looking for the best place to install in the engine bay.

Regards

Diego

Why do you want to fit it in the engine bay? Have you considered the rear of the car - use the wasted space at the back of the spare wheel where it is cooler, out of the way and quiet..?
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:23 am

I know not Lotus but on my TVR 3000S and TVR 3000M i have fitted Huco Pumps in the Boot.
Perfect job.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:24 am

Again, the Huco is quiet even when solidly mounted. Mine's in the engine bay for convenience, and because that is where it is designed to go.

According to: https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/car-acc ... mp-133010/

This pump is a suction type and designed to be fitted in the engine bay of the vehicle.

...assuming this is the same model Diego is using.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:35 am

Jon's correct. Put it in the boot and it is a changed into a pusher pump.

From the site -
" This pump is a suction type and designed to be fitted in the engine bay of the vehicle."

I mounted mine on a pair of fat, rubber plumbing washers to isolate. I've no idea if it made the slightest difference. Quiet tick when priming, then with the engine running ........ you jest!

S1820004.JPG and
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: