Quick question about the standard fuel pump

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:06 pm

WARNING - Thread Drift!

RichardHawkins wrote:Vince,

With respect to your comment about plugs, Dave Walker of Emerald reckons that once a plug is fouled it never recovers. Something I read recently, but can't remember where, said that current plugs are not as well glazed as older plugs, the reason being that modern engines with electronic control of ignition and fuel never foul a plug, so resistance to fouling is no longer important.

Richard Hawkins

Richard,
I've been told exactly the same "somewhere"? It's why modern iridium plugs are a waste of money.
They will be fouled long before they "wear out".

I had a time when my car simply would not fire. Tried the old plugs on the gas ring ploy all to no avail. Sparks (at the lead) & fuel all seemed fine. Stuck new plugs in, at the advice of Rohan I seemed to remember, and it started immediately.

Obviously we need a supply of good old NOS Champion plugs!
Vince
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:50 am

alan.barker wrote:Hi Jon, i think you do need an Isolator Switch to stop the Electric Clock in your +2 running the Battery down :wink:
Alan

Not on my car. The clock is broken!

Another job to do.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:51 am

vincereynard wrote:WARNING - Thread Drift!

:lol: No worries, Vince...
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:32 am

Less than ?2 each!

ww.sparkplugs.co.uk/review/product/list/id/6173/category/86/
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:16 am

Back to the electric fuel pump part of the discussion: I have read in the past VW have a reasonably priced impact cut off switch, however my local dealer was less than helpful nor interested in finding a part number. Does anyone know either a part number, or year and model for such?
Please and thank you...
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:21 am

I bought a Ford Mondeo fuel cut off switch, plenty on eBay (other sites are available!). I fitted it under the bonnet on the bulkhead near the bonnet catch on my Plus 2. Made a simple bracket so it was vertical with the car on level ground. Easy wiring for me as my electric fuel pump is under the carbs so simple wiring run. The pump has its own fused supply so I can pull the fuse to isolate it if I want to.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ElanDNA » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:05 am

jk952 wrote:Back to the electric fuel pump part of the discussion: I have read in the past VW have a reasonably priced impact cut off switch, however my local dealer was less than helpful nor interested in finding a part number. Does anyone know either a part number, or year and model for such?
Please and thank you...

Hi
assembled a few days ago:

inertia-switch.jpg and

Urs
ElanDNA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:02 pm

Thank you for the info gentlemen.
Jack
jk952