Fuel Gauge

PostPost by: DavidHarland » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:53 pm

This is probably blinding obvious but I cannot find out how to correct the wildly incorrect fuel gauge reading I get.

With the tank full the gauge reads half full and it reads empty for many miles before actually running out of fuel.

The gauge is a Smiths and I wondered if there is any way to adjust it or do I have to bend the float arm in the tank.

Any help would be gratefully received.

David
DavidHarland
New-tral

PostPost by: theelanman » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:10 pm

Mine turned out to be a knackered voltage regulator....funny little box thing stuck to the back of the dash near the steering wheel.......about ?2 from any electronic shop...try that before opening up and bending floats or getting your gauges rebuilt....
cheers
Gareth
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: williamselby » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:17 pm

I've got the same problem. I replaced the voltage stabiliser and it made no difference. Maybe the fuel sender isn't pointing in the right direction. I don't think any of my gauges give an accurate reading come to think of it.
williamselby
New-tral

PostPost by: type26owner » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:46 pm

Don't know if this info applies but I just rebuilt my S2 fuel tank sender. The resistance ranges from 100 ohms with a full tank to 0 ohms when empty. Very easy to check with a vom.
Keith
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nigelfletcher » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:52 am

I had a similar problem on my plus 2. It turned out to be a porous float on the fuel sender. I dismantled the sender, drained and resealed the float and normal service was resumed.
nigelfletcher
New-tral

PostPost by: DavidHarland » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:10 am

Thnaks to you all. I shall follow each of your suggestions this weekend, if it isn't chucking it down.

David
DavidHarland
New-tral

PostPost by: miked » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:54 pm

David

I just put an S4 back on the road that had sat for 12 years. I found that the sender had all that fuel gunk on it. This is that brown powder. Being an electrician and dabbler I pulled the thing apart and kept checking the resistance and the wiper arm that ran across it. I had not tried it in fuel but knew it would read all over the place as I was not getting a good sensible steady reading on ohms as I worked the float.
I then noticed that the litle pivot points that the float axis worked upon were part of the electrical path. I clean and polished these (little Dremmel) and the readings were perfect when assembeled and moved through the angle.

Fitted it to the car tank and it has been perfect for 2000 miles.

Hope this helps (assuming the construction is on the same principle).

regards Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: