Throttle linkage

PostPost by: mbell » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:37 pm

alfadave wrote:I noticed you don't seem to have a return spring at your carbs,and wondered how well your system operates?

Hi Dave,

Since this photo was taken I've actually added a (none-standard) return spring. I noticed when running that I could lower the engine speed by manually closing the throttle. The extra spring hasn't really help with this as I think the problem is with a bent shaft and throttle plate positions. I actually took the carbs off the car (again) so I can take a closer look. (Well I needed to pull the pedal box, so took the carbs off for access but was going to take them off soon away...)

All I have done is made my own replacement brass barrel so the system functions as when the car left the factory. From the parts manual to looks like Weber cars didn't have an external spring but DHLA cars did. Not sure if that is true or not... (Someone on here probably know more on this).

My car at some point has had it DHLA swapped to webers so I can't use it to confirm the above. My experience is the springs in the carb seem to close the pates ok in the webers but always better safe than sorry. So probably wise to have the spring.

Currently I've made my own temporary system until I locate a standard return spring as it seem to be a Lotus specific part.

Cheers,

Mark
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alfadave » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:54 am

Mark,

thanks for your response.

Standard return springs are easy enough to source over here.

But when I received mine,I was surprised at the diameter of the wire it is made from.

Too big to pass thro the holes in the throttle lever on the rear carb.

I can see from John's post earlier under this heading,that he has enlarged these holes.

But I don't fancy doing that,as I think it could affect the free movement of the barrel.

So,I'l look for a better solution......wondered what you did?

Dave
alfadave
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:35 am

Hi Dave,

I've only looked for the spring at carb places haven't checked with US lotus suppliers. They may carry them, if not I'll get one from the UK.

My solution (pictures below) is just a bodge to make sure my return to idle issues weren't just weak return springs. Main problem is with interference between the lever and spring at nearly fully open throttle. It does make it a little easier to remove the carbs thou...

Cheers,

Mark
Attachments
20150119_165702.jpg and
20150119_165719.jpg and
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:55 pm

My way..

2015_0220throttlecable0001.JPG and

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: