Weber Installation - Thackeray Washers

PostPost by: elanner » Sun May 11, 2014 9:22 pm

To close out my leak problem: Colin?s advice was the clue to everything and put me on the right track.

After a 20 mile run I removed the carbs and the accelerator pump lever covers. There was a teaspoon or so of petrol sloshing around behind the cover of one carb and a few drops in the other. I gave them a good cleaning and drilled a 3/16? hole in each cover.

I replaced the flattened flexible mount O rings with Misab plates. I used NAPA Sil-Glyde to lightly grease them because I couldn?t find any Permatex Super Lube grease recommended by GalwayLotus.

The Thackery coil gap has been discussed at length - I notice that my Haynes Weber manual says 20 thou, so the range seems to be 20-50 thou! I aimed for somewhere around 40 thou, ensuring that the carbs could flex a bit. The workshop manual measure of 1/8? movement at the trumpets (mentioned in Section X) seems like a more practical gauge.

Bingo, three weeks and several good drives later, no leaks from the pump lever covers and dry under the flexible mounts. And now it?s also dry around the fuel pump and the coil/distributor wiring. Whoo hoo!

I?m mostly a bit disgusted with myself for not fixing this ages ago. Really, I?m happy to futz with minor stuff and ignore leaking carbs? :-(

This seems to be a worthwhile 10 minute enhancement whenever the Webers are off.

Thanks again guys for your help with this.

Nick

DCOE_VentHoles.jpg and
Pump cover vent holes
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: