original fuel tank location Elan S4?

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:56 pm

My '71 Elan S4 DHC has the gas tank on the shelf between the shock towers and not on the right side floor like my other '71 Elan S4 DHC. Were there optional locations or did someone replace the old with this one years ago? It actually works well and my trunk size is now enormous (no jokes please). Please advise.
thanks.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:23 pm

I believe it was an original fitment to some, but not all, federal cars. I'm sure if you search the forum you'll find some more info.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:36 pm

I had understood several Canadian car had a fuel tank in that position. Having said that, my elan is a Canadian eh,elan and the tank is in the standard position.
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:15 pm

Mazzini wrote:I believe it was an original fitment to some, but not all, federal cars. I'm sure if you search the forum you'll find some more info.

That sounds accurate Mazzini. My Federal S4 has the tank at the bottom of the trunk and nearly all others I've seen were the same. A few years ago I saw an S4 with the tank mounted between the shock towers and I took a picture because it was new to me.

The Elan parts book doesn't even show the type of tank that is designed to fit between the towers.

Bob
1969 S4
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:32 pm

I'm wondering if the (re)positioning of the tank was a knee jerk reaction to what if I remember correctly was a fairly well know at the time US legal case.

My (poor) recollection was that it was to do with I think a Ford that had been rear ended and the fuel tank exploded causing severe disfigurement to the occupants that survived the accident/fire. US courts were issuing and perhaps still do punitive damages which the victims got rather than the government the award and all those years ago it was something like a $500 million because the fuel tank was fitted in the wrong place.

Ford were forced to reposition the tank in that model to try and prevent a recurrence.

Just wondering>>>
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:48 pm

That was the Pinto but I think the tank issues came out several years after the Elan production ended. Someone more versed in the history of this could chime in.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:33 pm

IIRC, the punitive damages and fine were so very large because it was shown that Ford had been aware of the design flaw and potential problems - and had decided not to address the issue due to the increased production expense. Internal memos and other documentation indicated that the Pinto tank could have been redesigned/repositioned for some nominal sum - around $11.00 if I remember correctly. Perhaps you can Google for specifics?

Steve in Ohio
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:55 pm

So to summarize, this tank is original to this car as pictured???
Attachments
extra shots 001.jpg and
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:55 pm

Yes, this has been discussed before (year or so ago). The conclusion was that a small number of Elans destined for the Canadian market had repositioned fuel tanks. Here is a photo posted during that discussion.

Tim
Attachments
Canadian S4 Fuel Tank.jpg and
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: