fuel check valve

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:26 pm

It's not clear whether a bulb-type priming pump would work in the engine compartment as you would be trying to suck fuel through the mechanical pump.

Fitting it between the chassis pipe and the mech pump would (I suspect) be rather difficult to do as there is not much room down there near the starter motor, that you could reach easily. There might be a more suitable type of priming pump for that location; e.g. something with a lever action.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:30 pm

Yes
tough to pull though the mechanical pump and valves, but is that much different from pushing.
if so, why is pushing through the mechanical different from pulling, check valves etc

there are the lever mechanical pumps, but a electric inline may also save the day sometime if the mechanical were to fail.

so I may still put a electric in-line, and I don't have room in my boot as I have relocated the fuel-lines. So I may need to put it before mechanical inside of engine bay???

I would like to seal the carb so it does not leak into engine, as I don't think evaporation is the issue??? maybe it is and i don't know yet.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcraven » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:50 pm

billwill wrote:It's not clear whether a bulb-type priming pump would work in the engine compartment as you would be trying to suck fuel through the mechanical pump.

I've done it as a temporary measure and it worked perfectly.
Robert
rcraven
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:29 am

hey reraven
did you place yours after your mechanical pump ?
or before...
thanks
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcraven » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:31 am

h20hamelan wrote:hey reraven
did you place yours after your mechanical pump ?
or before...
thanks

After the pump, just where the fuel line goes into the carburettor.
Robert
rcraven
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:36 pm

Thanks
Should have also asked rcraven, what is you experience to not have the pump there.
Did you fix the carb, or did it only happen after a long time without being run?

kind regards
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcraven » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:44 pm

h20hamelan wrote:Thanks
Should have also asked rcraven, what is you experience to not have the pump there.
Did you fix the carb, or did it only happen after a long time without being run?

kind regards

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but:
(i) I've only used the priming pump as a temporary measure two or three times when the engine has failed to start after being unused for a long time; but the pump has always got it going when all else had failed;
(ii) I don't like the idea of keeping it plumbed in permanently because (a) I don't normally need it, (b) it's an untidy layout and (c) I think it resists the flow of fuel slightly and I don't want to discover eventually that this strains the pump and causes some other problem.
Robert
rcraven
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:12 am

thanks
sorry I was not so clear.
I only wanted to know why you needed it, and if there was a fix for why you needed it?
but if it is only every now and again.

So I take it, you are careful not to spill fuel when you remove the prime-bulb. And/or may have some fuel shut off or check valve after bulb so you don't loose some of the prime?
Or the bulb-primer is right at the horizontal carb connections and you don't loose too much fuel?

Sounds like it will work for me, as it is only after the car has been sitting for two weeks or more it is more difficult than I would like
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcraven » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:31 am

h20hamelan wrote:So I take it, you are careful not to spill fuel when you remove the prime-bulb. And/or may have some fuel shut off or check valve after bulb so you don't loose some of the prime?
Or the bulb-primer is right at the horizontal carb connections and you don't loose too much fuel?

I just try to be careful when I remove in. It leaked once when the engine was running (that was my fault) and caused a fire and I thought I was about to lose the car, the garage and me, but I extinguished it before it had done anything worse than melt the oil pressure gauge pipe.
So it's not something I use unless I have to.
The reason I think it may restrict fuel flow if left in permanently is that I have to blow quite hard to get air through it in the direction of fuel flow. Maybe that's not a valid test or maybe my particular hand primer is more restrictive than others.
Robert
rcraven
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:29 pm

Wow sounds fairly scary
Although I like to think I think first before acting, I can see this happening to me.

I suspect that boats (and I suspect others) keep their fuel-prime-bulbs in-line but this may be for little 9.9 and small outboard motors. But then again there are big outboard motors and what do they do.

Maybe there is a way to do this, if the T ( I am speaking of my strombergs ) were converted to a t ( four openings rather than 3 ) one would be able to simply cap off the top tee now a Tee, with a screw or make it a schrader, at the highest point fuel would be pulled to.

If the prime-bulb had the schrader depressing pin it would allow the open position when you inserted the bulb.

who thinks this may work
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:31 pm

Loose fuel under the bonnet isn't going to look good on an insurance claim!

I'm fitting a Facit Posiflow as I'm tired of blowing down the fuel filler to prime the carbs following a few days of not driving; I'm sure the problem is worse with modern petrol as I never had to do it in the early days.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: promotor » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:39 pm

What about fitting one of these primable fuel pumps :

Pretty much exactly the same as a Lotus pump except for the external priming lever - the rest is similar such as bowl, lever arm that gets it's signal from the jackshaft etc etc.
promotor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:07 pm

I was going to say that I recall some early 60's cars having a priming lever, what were they fitted to?

I had many cars from that era I reckon it was either an MGB, Anglia or maybe a Triumph Herald or Spitfire.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:00 pm

That looks a good idea, I wonder if they can still be obtained.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PBrown60 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:08 pm

My first car was a 1966 Triumph Spitfire. It had a mechanical fuel pump with a primer lever built into it.
I wonder if one would fit and do the job. My Elan has an electric fuel pump so I never thought to look for where the mechanical one is installed or had one to compare.
PBrown60
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: