On board fire extinguisher

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:31 am

Bud English wrote:Not the extinguisher advice you're seeking but... I was the proud (?) owner of a new Chevy Vega at an earlier stage in life. It had a start routine that included running the electric pump on the starter circuit then switching over to a relay that was powered through the oil pressure switch. If you don't have oil pressure you don't have fuel after you let off the starter. I found out about it by inadvertently knocking the oil pressure sender wire off during my first oil change on the car, but that's a story for another forum/day.

A stuck float would have shut off the fuel pump when the motor quit. Any other loss of oil pressure would do the same when the carbs run dry. Not bad insurance and a very simple circuit to add.

I had a new '73 Vega GT. When I lived in Idaho in the '70s we got temperatures down to -20?F. The engine oil would go so thick I had no oil pressure first thing in the morning. I'd start the engine and it would run until the fuel in the float bowl was exhausted then the engine would die. I'd go back into the house for a few minutes and then try again when the residual heat warmed the oil enough for the pump to provide pressure. There was no oil pressure gauge so at first I didn't know if it was a faulty switch or light. I soon took the following corrective/preventive measures. I installed a pressure gauge which confirmed the lack of pressure. I installed a water heater spliced into the car's heater hose. I converted to Eon (now Neo I believe) fully synthetic engine oil. A side benefit of the water heater was that I had instant heat in the car when I started it on a cold morning!
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:47 am

As far as pumps go I have one
Switch for the Diff cooler and one for the electric fuel pump and the master off on all on the dash easily reached plus the SCCA approved afff extinguisher ......I willprobably get run over by an 18 wheeler and crushed before I can use them :lol: ..Ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:50 am

oldchieft wrote:If your car goes on fire you will have damage, no mater how good the extinguishing system is.

Yep but at the same time there is nothing worse than having a small fire and not having a Fire Extinguisher then having to stand there and watch your car Burn.

I have three Fire Extinguishers in mine, one behind each seat and one in the boot, there not plumbed in because the way i see it was knowing my luck the Fire would be in a place the Plastic hose wouldn't go and so would be well alight by the time it burnt through.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldchieft » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:02 pm

Hi Grizzly
I would not bin the idea of a fixed system, copper water pipe and a DIY pipe bender, with solder fittings could work. (Just don't set the car on fire when making it!)

When I get my upset sorted, (I'll post and after pictures soon) I will be giving a fixed system a coat of thinking about.

I also note a lot of fires on the forum related to wiring shorts. It might be an idea for all the Lotus owners to make suggestions for fitting line fuses based on the hard won knowledge from burnt out cars.

The small damage I have suffered has been a pain to fix, just looking at it spoils your day. Probably why it took two or more years to get back to the job. I would of got rid of the car for a pound of tea some days.

Now I have the twin cam engine project started I have got my feel good back.

If making a list of weak spots in the wiring saves anyone what I and others have suffered it would be worth while.

Jon the Chief
oldchieft
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: