Fitting an electric fuel pump

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:13 am

I have now detached and plugged the tubing after the regulator and the pumping noise continues. When the plug is released briefly the noise deepens as the petrol flows. I'm now sure there is no air getting in on the inlet side.

Is this how a Facet Posiflow is supposed to work? That is, it always pulses? I've emailed my supplier, assuming it's a faulty unit, and will post their response.

Meg
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:09 pm

I don't have a Facit. Not sure what brand mine is unless I check pictures against a supplier, but mine reduces the rate of clicks to near zero if the engine is not running.

I presume it is controlled by back pressure in the output fuel line, so perhaps yours has a faulty sensor.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Quart Meg Miles wrote:Is this how a Facet Posiflow is supposed to work? That is, it always pulses? I've emailed my supplier, assuming it's a faulty unit, and will post their response.Meg

I have a Facet connected in my fuel supply (although I only switch it on when the car has not been used in a while) its just for priming the carbs as the trusty old glass bowled pump works fine.
Initially it is quite loud until the carbs are full then carries on rattling away like a machine gun but not as loud and it does not stop until I switch it off, I thought this was normal for a Facet so will be interested to see what response you get from the supplier.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:02 pm

Thank you Bill, what you describe is what I anticipated;

Thank you Brian, that's what is happening and is confirmed as correct by Demon Tweeks.

The "electronic" part just seems to be a timer pulsing a solenoid coil which tries to reset the pump plunger against its fuel-forcing spring. If there's no flow the plunger can't move so just thumps but if it is fully or partly down its cylinder it moves an appropriate amount and thuds more loudly against the end. It's inaudible when the engine is running or switching on in a street and the extra amps shouldn't be a problem.

With the regulator where it is I don't suppose I can switch the pump off, Brian style, but I'll see what happens. I have designed a two-relay-plus-transistor oil pressure switch cut-out with automatic start but I'll only build it if the pump is permanent.

Thanks agaian, guys.
Meg

________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:46 am

Hello,
How can you tell a m?ch pump is leaking fuel into the sump diluting the engine oil?
Cooled down by CliveyBoy!
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:49 pm

I've experienced the leakage and, as I remember, the engine oil will smell of gasoline. Also an overfilled sump or sump that gain's slightly gives a good idea.

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:08 pm

Hi Guys / Meg ...

The little rubber resiliant mounts I had in my box o bits. I think they were for exhaust mount possibly? Not sure. but one can also buy them from Ebay or online from various suppliers..

let me know if you cant find and i will Google around and find them for you.

BTW My little posiflow does not stop entirely either. esp set at just 1.5 Lb / 2" ... i think either thr reg diaphram or the elasticity in the upflow pipery... I have left it running (the pump) for ages and no flooding at all so now I just dont think about it. Def' no leaks. Works a treat.. I really have to listen for it it is so quiet.

Been away guys (now retired and have new motorhome will travel)....

Take care now..
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:58 pm

Thanks, Alex,

I'll stick with my rubber grommets as I can barely hear the pump running in practice and not at all with the engine running. Your mounts look a bit smaller than the exhaust bits they sell in southern England.

While working in the empty boot I thought I could smell petrol (it's probably seapage from the filler just above) so while I de-rusted the top of the fuel tank I left the pump running so I could check for leaks. After perhaps ten minutes there was a metallic racket from the pump as if it was shaking itself to pieces so I quickly switched it off. Without petrol flowing I believe it had locally vapourised the petrol, by cavitation and heating, and was working in vapour so had no damping as it hit the end stops. When I started the car next day it was normal so either the vapour had condensed or been pushed through as the Webers evaporated petrol.

The tank is now coated with Galvafroid which was a wonderful cold galvanising paint I bought decades ago and hope is still available. It has lasted at least twenty years on an outdoor pressed-steel item on the house where the original galvanised finish had rusted through. Now that St Wilkins only powder-coats his chassis it might be a useful accessory. Oops, rather off topic.

EDIT While looking to replace the tin of Galvafroid I discovered Zinga (www.zinga-uk.com) which appears to be a superior product and I'm getting a tin today. Can overcoat Galvafroid and I will post observations.
Meg

Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: