Stromberg float level problem?

PostPost by: pamitchell » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:59 am

I've noticed that when making hard braking stops, my engine will die, especially when cold. When it's warm the idle drops dangeously low but keeps running. I set the float levels to the recommended 16/17 mm and installed Grose valves. I have a Facet pump running at the right pressure. Overall, the carbs work very well and there are no other issues w. driveability. I've mastered a starting technique of running the pump for 30 seconds before cranking and light choke.
It seems to me that the fuel bowls slosh or empty due to g force. Are there any specs for the Grose valves that vary from the original needle valves? I'm thinking of going back to the original needle valves to isolate the problem.
I welcome any comments or suggestions on my strategy.
Phil
1968 S4/SE FHC 36-7936
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:52 am

Hi Phil,
I doubt if fuel sloshing around in the float bowls is the cause of your problem or it would have been experienced by others and I don't recall it being mentioned here previously. I would suspect your mixture is slightly too lean and/or the idle speed is set a bit too low. Try simply taking your foot off the throttle and simultaneuosly declutching when travelling at speed and see if the engine stalls then, if it does it eliminates the g force theory and points to carburettor settings.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: