choke cable replacement

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:41 pm

I want to replace the wire in my choke cable & seem to remember some past discussion on how to achieve this. Due to current problems with the search function on Yahoo I can't access any past posts.
Can anyone tell me in detail how to successfully replace the wire?
Enclosed is a photo of the end of my choke knob assembly.
Attachments
_MG_0409.jpg and
End of my choke knob assembly
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: badback » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:43 pm

The method I used.
Grind a thin slot around 1mm wide into the steel shank running lengthways so you removing all three crimping points the cable will then come away.
Now drill a hole down the centre of the steel shank around 6mm deep this should ideally be slightly bigger than the O/D of the new cable.
Clean the ends of the new cable to remove any oil with acetone or similar push cable to the hole drilled in the shank.
Ideally use Sliver solder to re join the cable to the shank filling in the 1mm ground slot.
Remake the original groove in the shank by file down the silver solder to match the size and shape of the original groove.

Brian
badback
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:03 pm

Thanks Brian that sounds like a reasonable way to do it.
I had another idea which is to leave the old cable but cut so that about 12mm. is left. Then using a metal sleeve that the old cable & the new one can just fit inside join the two by crimping & solder. I would have to check to make sure that the sleeve will clear the outer housing.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: