Weber conversions

PostPost by: bleumouton » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:14 pm

The attached file is a shot of the Weber conversion to an original Sprint motor that had Strombergs. I have been told that the Strombergs were cut off and and the Webers welded onto the Stromberg head manifold and it appears that this was indeed the case from the photo; is this a common practice? Can this cobbed together setup be undone? Should I just stay away from this and look elsewherefor a "less molested" car?

Thanks
Attachments
LotusElan.jpg
LotusElan.jpg (117.93 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
bleumouton
New-tral

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:58 pm

i only know of 2 commercial conversions. The one done currently by John McCoy at Omnitech which uses a bolt on manifold and one done many years ago by QED which welded on the new Weber manifold I believe, I have never seen the QED one.

The Photo is defintely not one of the Omnitech conversions. It actually looks more like a Weber head that had the manifold broken off in an accident and rejoined.
Does it still have the oil separator casting and breather and drain arrangement under the rear inlet as this has to be machined off to convert a stromberg head.

There may be some private one off conversions out there but I have never heard of any.

Neither the Omnitech or QED would be reversible and provided the example is in good condition I would see no problem with the head unless you are a purist. The Omnitech conversion produces a better head than the original in terms of flow capability for a developed engine.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:08 pm

Rohan, I was Googling a bit and came across this conversion on the Dave Bean site. Not sure if it is still available. Is this one of the ones you mention?

http://www.davebean.com/specials4.htm#Weber

Here is the Omnitech conversion for reference

http://www.omnitech-engineering.com/auto/strom.asp
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:23 pm

The Dave Bean offering looks like the Omnitech conversion from the description and photos

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bleumouton » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:27 pm

Thanks gang....the sourcing info is helpful
bleumouton
New-tral

PostPost by: cal44 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:54 pm

I have a Weber conversion on the Plus 2..........welded at the base of the intakes to the head. I bought like this.
Whata' ya gonna do? It's not as pretty as Omnitech's work but it is done and it works.

When the hood is closed no body can see it anyway.............
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: