Fuel line question

PostPost by: cal44 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:50 pm

Subject Plus 2:

Anyone have pix of a galvanized or stainless steel fuel line install from the back too the front? I am not removing the body. My goal is to install the on the bottom of the backbone with c clips or something on that order.

Using a nylon fuel line makes me nervous and the age of the line doesn't add security. Also the fitting on the tank is going to be an issue (darn British threads). I was thinking of coming off of the tank with a steel nipple then rubber fuel hose which would connect to the fuel line on the bottom of the backbone. Of course steel up into the engine compartment.

Make sense?

Input?

Regards
Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:34 pm

Salut Mike

A friend restoring his +2 (or rather getting it restored) is using a SS braided line running inside the car. I guess it could be done quite easily by removing the back seat, and if it makes a lump in the carpet, the felt could be cut away.

It would certainly be easier and better protected than under the car. As long as the line is complete, i.e. no joins, I can't see there being a leak issue.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:29 pm

hi Vernon,
is it someone i know in France!!!!
A+ Alan B
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:56 pm

Roland Salvi. S4 owner, CN +2 near completion.
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:22 am

Mike
I did something similar on my Sprint.
I ran copper/nickel fuel line. I think its called "Cuniper"
It has a reasonable abrasion resistance which is what you need underneath the car.
If the Plus 2 chassis is similar to the Elan there is a small downward pointing lip on the bottom of the chassis. The pipe runs nicely down the chassis (on the bottom) next to the lip which gives it protection.
From the tank I ran a piece of rubber pipe to a fuel filter and then to the metal fuel line which comes up into the boot.
( I have an electric fuel pump mounted after the filter and the mechanical fuel pump removed)
I always use a fuel filter as any muck from the tank does not get into the fuel pipe where you cant see it. Also if you use a clear type filter you can see if fuel is flowing.
The metal fuel line runs up into the engine bay and then you need to use a piece of rubber fuel line to connect to the fuel pump as it has to allow for the engine moving.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:13 pm

Funny I have just had this email conversation with Sue Miller, she thinks that unless you go for the Goodridge hose solution , you are better off with the OE pipe
I'm going OE!
Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: