Air Box options for DCOEs

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:56 am

Hi all, I'm looking for availiable air box options for a set of 40DCOE151 for a 1700cc QED spec twin cam.
I don't have anything right now.

James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:18 am

James
Not sure if you specifically want an air box but here are the main options.

Bolt K&Ns straight onto the carbs. You then have to buy a special throttle lingage as the cable normally connects to the original air box backing plate. Also the engine breather connects upto the back of the airbox so you need to do something about that too.
Piper and ITG do foam large filters that fit onto the carbs but you still have the same problems as above
K&N also do a large filter box instead of two singles. This might help overcome the throttle and breather problems as you would have something to attach to.

Fit an original air box and use a remote K&N filter to replace the original air cannister in the nose.
I use one on my Sprint. I have done the calcs and the one I use will flow more than enough air for a 1700 tuned TC

I would not use the original air cannister in the nose as it is very restrictive and would not flow the air you need.
There are various other companies that make air boxes such as Reverie( in carbon fibre) but the cost is quite high.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:38 am

I don't have the backing plate or original box. I've just been looking at piper boxes similar to OEM design on the Burtons site.
Who carries the carbon fiber items ( found some cosworth) high price 500+ UKP
Thanks
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:42 am

This is the company I know who makes carbon fibre air boxes
http://www.reverie.ltd.uk/air_box_guide.php

Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:59 pm

I like the looks of the carbon boxes. It would be fun to design a nice aluminum air box and get it done on a CNC machine. Similar too small tri-power Ford air cleaner, just lighter. Or the same design made with carbon fiber. Then use an oblong filter.

I have K&N filters housings............uglier than a barrel full of towel raps. They were on the car.......I didn't do it.
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: