Weber check list

PostPost by: UAB807F » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:48 am

If it's 2 adjacent cylinders that are showing problems then I think I'd start looking at the two plugs to see if they are showing signs of either over-rich or weak mixtures & then move on to the carb feeding them. Do you still have the fuel leak mentioned earlier in the thread ? If so that's the obvious starting point.

I have a fuel pressure regulator on my system, but I'm using an electric pump. With the standard mechanical pump I can't see over-pressure being a problem & I've never used a regulator with the OEM mechanical pump.

If it's a weak mixture then air leaks are the first point, although to get 2 chokes with leaks at the same time sounds like a carb mounting or O-ring problem. It's easy enough to see if petrol is getting into the glass bowl of the mechanical pump, after that it's just the filters that could be blocked at the carb. entry.

If it's too rich then my starter would be to make sure all the jets are screwed in properly then the float chamber valve followed by (already checked) float height or possible a leaking float.
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: spridget » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:50 am

Hi Brian
No more fuel leak, I think it was just fuel remaining after handling the carbs in and out.
That?s what I was thinking about the regulator : not necessary with a standard mechanical pump.
The plugs are wet
I can see petrol into the glass bowl but there are also air bubbles. I have found on archives that is not a good thing ...
The o ring could be a first way to look for
So I'll first take off the carbs one more time !

Franck
50/0302 +2, Frogeye
spridget
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: spridget » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:50 pm

Hi all

Well after a long time and a few carbs remove and trials, the +2 is back on the road ! After studing Weber's litterature, I?m quite proud to have found by myself a decent tuning which allows the car to go well ! :P
It needs to be improved but I made 30 miles last week end with pleasure. Now I?m watching how the spark plugs are for to have the right fuel mixture on the carbs
I just wanted to share my pleasure with you after all the good advices you gave me
Franck
50/0302 +2, Frogeye
spridget
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi Franck,

Great news, I'm really pleased that you've sorted it out, a 30mile trip without problems sounds like you're well on the way. Back in the day people used to regard Webers and Dellortos as "black magic" and prone to all sorts of trouble, but really they are just simple mechanical devices with very few things that need attention once correctly set up. You'll get there, just keep the faith.

Brian

ps - it's good of you to post up the results as well, it's always nice to hear of a successful outcome.
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: spridget » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:32 am

Hi Brian,
That?s the least I can do to give some news about what happens after !
Well this week was less successful! When I took the +2 to go to work, on Wednesday, the starter made strange noises and finally a screw fell on the floor! It simply was one of the two used to fix it!
So after screwing properly, yesterday I was planning to go to the monthly classic meeting here in Orleans, and no more battery ? These car need all our love :) !

Franck
50/0302 +2, Frogeye
spridget
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: