Locking Fuel Cap

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:47 am

[quote="69S4"][He might as well have for all the good the locks are.quote]

Now I think back 40 years or so my Frogeye Sprite never had door locks, slide the Perspex window back and reach in to open the door from the inside door latch, ign switch you could bypass in seconds.....may be people were just more honest in those days :roll:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:06 am

Hello
I had a locking fuel cap on my Elan + 2 (before I changed it!) and also the Seven has a similar one. Both have office filing cabinet type keys made by LF Telford. Both start with 92 and 3 further digits ie 92XXX I beleive you can get a "92" master to open all similar locks as I had one once :wink:

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:00 pm

Had a look at it and the cap is a "Ceandess" exactly the same make as my non locking Sprint cap although if that applies to the key I dont know.
Attachments
S3 FUEL CAP.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:17 pm

types26/36 wrote:
69S4 wrote:[He might as well have for all the good the locks are.quote]

Now I think back 40 years or so my Frogeye Sprite never had door locks, slide the Perspex window back and reach in to open the door from the inside door latch, ign switch you could bypass in seconds.....may be people were just more honest in those days :roll:

. . . or less technically adept?! :roll:
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:34 am

Galwaylotus wrote:. . . or less technically adept?! :roll:

There may well be some element of truth in that - or at least it's in accord with what I've noticed about motorcycles in particular over the last 40+ yrs. Back in 1969 Honda introduced their CB750 model - 4 cylinder, OHC, disc brake + a few other never before seen bits. The reaction was one of shock about the sophistication of it all, followed by comments that something like this was far too difficult to maintain at home. They were comparing it with the British twin cylinder stuff - BSA, Triumph etc that then dominated the market and which were based on designs going back to the 30's (OK, not all of them!). These days the CB750 is seen as stone-age simple, an entry level classic to learn on.

Read the contemporary road tests of the Elan and the same concerns comes through - when you're used to pushrods and cart springs this new stuff looks frightening and it takes some time before it becomes the norm. Now we're head scratching over how to deal with ECUs and F.I., soon that'll be OK and it'll be the mysteries of lithium batteries and electric motors. None of this applies if you've some sort of connection to the technology - an engineering background or similar, but for the rest of us who were upgrading our hammers in the 60's and working through the settings on our new multi-meters now.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: