Noisy fuelpump

PostPost by: Otto » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:13 pm

Hi there, here is my first topic. I have reasently bought a Lotus Elan +2 130 S (1971) I now have 10 months of waiting and polishing, because of the silly expensive taxsystem in Denmark. I love the car, but there is one anoying thing. The fuelpump (fittet under the bonnet) is quite noisy clikclikclik all the time, and it is a petty with such a nice motorsound. Do anyone know if there is silent good fuelpumps on the market, for this car?
kindly Otto (sorry if i am spelling funny) :roll:
Lotus Elan +2 130S 1971, VW 181 (Thing) 1975, Honda VFR 400R 1991, Vespa GT 1957, VW 231 1975,
Otto
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:56 pm

Hello and welcome Otto, the cars were originally fitted with a mechanical fuel pump, over the years some have been changed to electric pumps which can be noisy, although I still use the mechanical type I have fitted electric pumps on other cars but mounted them on rubber bobbins (the type that are used on exhaust systems) this usually helps to get rid of the pump noise.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Otto » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:26 pm

Thank you, if i would like to silence my electrical pump with rubber, could it be possible to fit the pump in the back, near the petroltank? i am thinking, the more distance from me, the lesser noise.
:shock: O2
Lotus Elan +2 130S 1971, VW 181 (Thing) 1975, Honda VFR 400R 1991, Vespa GT 1957, VW 231 1975,
Otto
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:42 pm

Otto wrote: could it be possible to fit the pump in the back, near the petroltank?

Yes that would help but I think there is an issue where to mount it in a plus two, I'm sure some of the guys with plus two's could suggest the best place.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:24 pm

[/quote]
Yes that would help but I think there is an issue where to mount it in a plus two, I'm sure some of the guys with plus two's could suggest the best place.
Brian[/quote]

Otto,

The noise of the mechanical pump is nothing compared to the problems when it starts to fail.

I have a Facet electric pump (comes with rubber mounts) mounted centrally on the bulkhead below the boot floor flange. Been there now for must be ten years, ticking away happily. Took us from Esbjerg to Helsinor this year. I can email you a photo of the installation if you like.

Sean Murray
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Otto » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:02 pm

Great! I would very much like some photos. My E-mail : [email protected]
Otto
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:07 am

Hello Otto, you're right, it is a pity to interfere with the sound of a Lotus engine. You have numerous choices for fuel pumps on the market today, stock mechanical (silent), or electrical (clicking) and electrical (whirring, hopefully silent). Electric pumps can be mounted anywhere the fuel line runs, I suggest not near the exhaust. If it were my car I'd use a new rebuilt high quality stock mechanical pump. They've served many of us for many miles through several decades without problems. If you're thinking of modifying the car or increasing horsepower, then I'd go with an electrical unit, rdent enterprises in Pennsylvania USA, Dave Bean, or numerous suppliers in the UK can help you. Good Luck and have fun, they're great cars, Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:18 am

mine is in the trunk next to the gas tank ---it converts tick tick tick to TICK TICK TICK as it transmits :roll: sound through the fiber glass body ----ed
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: blueseamonkey » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:14 am

Mine is in the boot, on the right hand side above the boards. I'll try and get some pics posted later if I can work out how. When the pump is first turned on before starting the engine, I can hear a tick, tick - lets you know its working, but its not loud enough to hear over the noise of the engine once it is running. I'll have a look when I get home to see if any rubber mounts etc have been used.
Rick
blueseamonkey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:05 pm

Otto,

Welcome to the forum.

My fuel pump - a Facet red top - is mounted in the boot on the rubber bobbins supplied with the pump kit. I fitted a bracket between the right hand tank strap anchor and the chassis bolt nearest the battery. The pump is mounted on this which effectively locates it below the boot floor. I put it there because Facet pumps like to be gravity fed with petrol - they do not like having to pull petrol upwards.

I also fitted a relay into the pump power circuit. This is operated by an oil pressure switch mounted on the engine. When there is oil pressure (engine running) the pump is switched on. No oil pressure (engine stopped) and the pump is switched off. A good safety measure. I never really hear my pump because because it only runs when the engine runs.

Hope this helps,

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:41 pm

Hamish
Doesn't that cause problems starting,fuel starvation from cold....
John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Otto » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:05 pm

Thanks a lot for all the inputs. I will try to move my pump to the boot. I really look forward to get "hands on" my new car. It is a shame one have to be at work in the light hours of the day.
:idea: :? :idea:
Otto
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:40 pm

John,

Don't have that problem for 2 reasons:

i) there is usually enough fuel in the float chanbers to start the engine
ii) even if there isn't I have fitted a bypass switch so I can turn on the pump at will. e.g. if I wanted to empty the fuel tank for some reason.

Hopefully the safety feature will never be used but I feel better having a safety cut out with a bypass switch rather than nothing at all. :)

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:30 pm

And, of course, with an electric pump there's always the option to wire in an hidden switch, such that if the car is nicked, they'll only get as far as the fuel in the carbs will allow.

Regards,

Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:23 pm

Stuart,

That is not very far. I once forgot to reset the switch and got from a car park in the middle of Edinburgh onto a main road only for the car to stop half way across a junction. For the life of me, I couldn't work out why it had stopped. :oops: It was a Saturday afternoon.

Regards,

Hamish.
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: